twenty-seven

Winnie pulled on a thin Army green jacket over a plain white crop top, both Libby and Jake arguing with her as she did so. She groaned, adjusting her dark high waisted jeans that only exposed a sliver of her midriff.

After covering all that had happened since Winnie had arrived in Beacon Hills, Libby and Jake were opposed to her leaving the house on a full moon.

"It's daylight!" Winnie expressed to her ridiculous friends. "I'll be fine until nightfall. I don't plan on being out that long anyway."

"You should just stay inside, Win," Jake suggested as he leaned against the door to the en suite of Winnie's room.

"I tell myself that every morning since I've been here, but I don't let that stop me from going on with my life." Winnie slid on the same ankle boots from the night before, fluffing out her hair from the trap of her jacket. "I'm only going to talk to Derek. It won't even be an hour, I promise."

"What about tonight, when all the crazies are running around?" questioned Libby as she leafed through Winnie's sketchbook. "We'll be safe, right?"

"Our security system was made with this town in mind," Winnie assured. She was the only one not in pyjamas, the entire clan having just finished a breakfast that Elizabeth had put together.

"So we'll sit with our thumbs up our asses until the sun come back up?" Wearing pizza designed sleep pants and a clingy white vneck, Jake was clearly worried.

"Will you two calm down?" Winnie lightly asked as she adjusted her watch to the inside of her wrist. "I'll pick up snacks and Japanese sodas and we'll marathon Star Wars. How does that sound?"

Both Libby and Jake quieted, giving mumbled agreements.

Winnie thanked them rather sarcastically, her eyes going to the dresser drawer she'd stored her handgun in. Biting her tongue, she quickly opened the drawer and pulled out the matte black glock from underneath her socks.

"Woah, woah-"

"Hey!" Winnie put out a hand, "Quiet! It's okay."

"Clearly it's not!" Libby snapped as she stood from the desk with wide eyes. "What the hell, Win?"

"It's for self protection, that's all. My dad taught me how to use it." Winnie slipped it into the back of her waistband, covering it with her jacket. "I swear that's all it's for. I don't have claws, so it's the best I can do."

"Winnie, I really don't like this," Jake said with worry all over his pretty face.

"I know that," Winnie acknowledged. "I need to do this, though. I don't plan on using it, it's just in case. There's a lizard dude running around, remember?" She held up her pointer fingers, catching them before they could argue. "I'm going, okay? It's happening. Text me in an hour if I'm not back, and don't say anything to my parents."

As Winnie left, both Libby and Jake let go of strangled sighs.

"This proactive life shit on her is stressing me out," said Jake as he ran a hand through his messy hair.

Libby crossed her arms over her chest, still watching the door Winnie had left from. "Looks good on her, though."

"Yeah...yeah it does."

¥ ¥ ¥

Derek crouched as he opened a case of tools for the full moon, beginning to rifle through it.

Isaac reached down, running his fingers along the pattern on the roof of the chest. "What is that?"

Leaning against the train car, Boyd had his arms crossed. "It's a triskele. Spirals mean different things. Past, present, future. Mother, father, child."