Chapter 2 - Better for Him

    Mateus tries to come closer, but for every step he takes towards me, I take one away from him. Noticing this, a look of hurt flashes onto his face before he wipes it off.

    All I can think about is that I hurt him, and I'm going to hurt him so much more within the next few minutes. I know this has to be done, but my chest starts to ache anyway.

    I sit in a chair in the little sitting area by the door and motion for him to sit in the one across from me. He takes a seat, and I almost laugh at how awkward he looks in such a small chair.

    "Did you come to ask me about my pack?" I ask him, pretending I do not know why he is here.

    As expected, Mateus looks confused. Carefully, he says, "I wanted to talk about us. You could join my pack. I mean, we would need to hold an official ceremony, but it shouldn't be a problem to quickly set one up."

    He sounds so hopeful.

    "Why would I join your pack?" I ask, faking confusion. "I have my own."

    "Did you want me to join yours?" he inquires before thinking about it for a second. "I don't think I could. I can't leave my men."

    And this was the problem. Neither of us can leave our packs behind.

    "Why would you join me? I don't understand."

    He leans across the distance between us, staring into my eyes. I will myself not to look away.

    "We're mates," he responds. "I don't think I could stand having you so far from me."

    I quickly pray that my acting skills are good enough for this.

    "Mates?" I say, faking incredulity. "Whoa whoa. Hold up a second. We're not mates. This is just a big misunderstanding."

    Mateus gets up, desperately grabbing my hand. "You can't feel this?" he asks, rubbing circles into my hand with his thumb. "You don't sense the connection?"

    His eyes beg me to say that I do. That I can feel it. That I want to be with him. That I can just up and leave my pack.

     I have to look down from the sky blue depths, so he can't tell I'm lying. "No, not at all," I state. "I'm sorry, but you're mistaken."

    He looks so hurt, so confused, and everything in me is screaming to make it better.

Mateus stands up fully, shocked. He looks down at me, and his eyes search my face, hopelessly seeking a sign that says this is some kind of joke. I try and keep my expression schooled.

"Are you ok?" I ask, morphing my face into one of concern. "You seem shocked."

He backs away, and his expression turns into one of granite. "I'm fine," he says. "I'm sorry for the misunderstanding." Mateus turns and begins to walk out of the room.

When he arrives at the door, I say, softly, "I'm sorry, Mateus."

He freezes, his back stiffening, but doesn't look back.

The door opens, then clicks closed, and I try to hold the tears in. After a few seconds of staring at the ceiling, I let out a sob.

This had to be done. It's better for him this way.

-----

    The steam from the shower curls around my red feet when I step out of the sliding door. My reflection in the mirror shows puffy eyes. "You are going to look like shit tomorrow morning," I tell it, rubbing my eyes.

    I wrap myself in a towel and walk out into the room for a few seconds before realizing there's one downfall to the floor-to-ceiling windows. Also, I don't have an extra change of clothes. Hurriedly, I rush back into the bathroom and look for my cellphone. After finding that it's still safely in the pack I carry when I shift, I call Dylan.

    "Ari, you know I'm in the room next to yours, right?"

    "I know! We have a problem though. None of us brought any extra clothes."

    "Oh I forgot to tell you!" he exclaims. "I asked Carter to send someone to bring you and me changes of clothes, and I sent Joseph, Lily, and Alex home with him. They only brought you some standard clothes. You know, the whole v-neck sweatpants ensemble. I figured you wouldn't want them going through your stuff."

    "Dylan, thank you," I tell him, "You're a lifesaver."

    "I know, right? Imagine how horrified Carter would have been had he seen your collection of granny panties."

    "Those are not granny panties. They're just cotton underwear for periods! And I only have 5 of those!"

    "Ewww," Dylan yells, and I just laugh in response. "I could've died without knowing that."

    "Well if you hadn't teased me about my panty preference you wouldn't have had to hear it," I tell him. "Anyways, you should be the best beta ever and bring me those clothes. I'm pretty sure I forgot to lock my room door, so just come in."

    "At your service, my lady," Dylan jokes before hanging up.

    I put my phone down and look at my smiling face in the mirror. There's no one else but Dylan who can cheer me up without even realizing it. When I hear Dylan knocking on the door, I look at my reflection one more time.

    "You can get through this," I tell myself before cracking open the door only to find Dylan's huge green eye looking at me through the crack.

    "My lady," he whispers, looking around. "I had to fight off dragons and rid myself of the spell of an evil warlord in order to bring you the finest cotton clothing available." He pushes the clothes through the crack. "Use these treasures wisely."

    I laugh, take them, and close the door.

    When I step out of the bathroom in a gray v-neck t-shirt and black sweatpants, standard clothes we keep for shifting, I find Dylan sprawled on my bed.

    "Sir Knight," I address him. "What ever are you doing?"

    "Ari," he whines, his face pressed into the bedding, "your sheets are so much softer than mine."

    He rolls onto his back and starts to make "snow" angels in the sheets.

    "Thanks for thinking about the clothes," I say, thanking him again. "And for sending Joseph, Lily, and Alex home. There really isn't any reason for them to be here anymore."

"You're welcome." He smiles like the cheshire cat before gesturing to the night stand. "I also brought dinner. It's astounding how chivalrous I can be, isn't it?"

    "Yes, very astounding," I admit, sliding myself into the small space left on the bed and grabbing the plate. "I'll even make you a cake as a reward for your knightly courage when we go back home."

    "Cake!" he exclaims. "That sounds wonderful!"

    "Yep," I agree. We talk and joke around some more while I finish eating.

    "Ari," he asks, all traces of humor gone from his voice, "do you need me to stay with you tonight?"

    "Probably," I admit as he scooches onto the left side of the bed.

    "Good," he says, the humor back, "because I would have stayed to enjoy these sheets anyway. Do you feel this stuff? It's amazing!"

    I stop him by clamping my hand over his mouth. "Shhh, go to sleep."

    I roll over to the right side of the bed and let my eyes slide closed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like, comment, or follow if you wish. Have a nice day! :)