Chapter 52: Things to worry about

James' nanny and Jessie were taking a break from shopping to have ice cream by the giant fountain in the center of town. Wobbufet and Gourgeist joined them.

"This is delicious!" Jessie exclaimed with her mouth full. "I haven't had ice-cream in months".

"Wobba Wobbufet!" the Pokémon exclaimed.

"Gour Geist Geist", said Gourgeist.

"I told you this was the best place in Kanto to get good cones", James' nanny replied.

"I have to bring James here", said Jessie. Her Pokémon both nodded.

"This place just opened up a few years ago, so I don't think James has ever come", she responded. "But I know he will like it".

"It feels really good to get out", said Jessie. "I love James and Annastasia to death but I missed going outside. James and I used to spend hours out on missions and we would always be outdoors. After spending the past few months indoors, I realized how much I really like being out".

"I can't picture James out on 'missions'. He used to cry whenever it rained", Linda replied. "And the only time he ever threw a tantrum was when he got a little bit too cold while playing in the yard".

"He still cries when it rains!" Jessie laughed. "Except now he has me to cry with".

"Wobba!" said Wobbufet.

"You two make a really good match", she complimented.

"Me and James or me and Wobbufet?" Jessie asked.

"I meant you and James, but I like you too Wobbufet", Linda replied.

"Wobba wob", the Pokémon responded.

"It always comes down to James and I", said Jessie. "I have gotten to the point where I cannot imagine my life without James. Honestly, I used to think relying on a another person the way I rely on him was pathetic and dangerous. But everything has changed, to the point where I don't even feel like the same person I was in the past".

"Speaking of that...." His grandmother started. ".....Has James proposed to you yet?.

Jessie nearly choked on the ice-cream she was eating. Wobbufet and Gourgeist patted her on the back in an attempt to help her.

"Was he planning to?" Jessie asked incredulously.

"He hasn't said anything to me. I just thought that you would have talked about it, considering all that has happened between you two recently", Linda responded.

"The thing is...James is terrified of getting married. One time he told me that he would rather jump off a cliff than tie the knot", said Jessie. "And I am not quite sure if he meant marriage in general or marriage to me".

"Well, if he said that, he has certainly changed his mind since. As much as I hate to admit it, James is a runner. He runs from everything. There is no way he would have stayed with you if you weren't he exception. Besides, I heard you two were planning on getting a house together so that you can be with one another. You two seem to be married already".

"You aren't the first person to point that out", Jessie replied. "I want him to ask me, I just don't think he ever will. Maybe I will ask him".

"That just how James' grandfather and I were. Paul didn't even propose to me. I had to propose to him!" she confessed. "That was very unusual back in the day. He'll never admit that I did that though".

Jessie laughed at this. "So I guess I'm not alone then?"

"Not at all", she replied. "And even if you don't get married, you still have Annastasia".