Chapter 39: Out of the Woods?

AN: This is part 2 of 4 of my fanfic "Stand by You". Go to my profile to find the rest of the story there, otherwise this won't make much sense. Thank you. Also, I have some more character profiles: 

Lucy- a talking Purrloin who distrusts humans but is willing to stand by Meowth, since he the only person, or Pokémon, that she can feel connected to in some way. She has mixed feelings towards the group and has emotions that she keeps bottled up. This results in her having mixed opinions and attitudes. She is unsure of how she feels about Jessie and the twerps, but she really likes James, though she unsure as to why that is the case.

Paul and Linda Morgan- James' paternal grandparents. They debuted in the episode Sweet Baby James. I think I heard James' grandmother call his grandfather 'Paul", so I made that his name, but I made Linda up. They are caring and generous people and they don't mind that James is in Team Rocket because they knows that he would never truly hurt anyone. After learning about the Team Rocket organization as a whole from Delia and James, they no longer resent it or fear it as they once did. I imagine they are pretty old, at least 75 years old, but people in this show tend to live strong healthy lives into their hundreds, so their age is pretty much irrelevant.

Giovanni Roquetto- Giovanni appears in both the video games and the anime, but he is portrayed in many different ways and he doesn't have much cannon character development. For this fic, I portrayed him as sorta the intimidating yet not totally evil father figure to Jessie and James (if you haven't already realized that). After all, in the anime, it is shown that he took them in when they had no where else to go. He also tended to treat Jessie and James like children. He forgave them and didn't fire them. He obviously likes them to some degree, or else he would have gotten rid of them a while ago. Jessie and James, are always trying to impress him, like a child might try to do for a strict parent. The following is cannon in Japan: Giovanni's mother, Madame Boss, was good friends with Miyamoto (Jessie's mother). Miyamoto helped raise Giovanni. She was also a very well respected member of Team Rocket and was one of Madame Boss's favorite agents before she went missing while on a mission searching for Mew.

That's all for now. Please continue to read. I already have an ending for this so you won't be left hanging. I love your reviews and I am grateful to find such nice people on the inter-webs. Thank you.....and.. now more story :

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

When Jessie woke up, the first thing she noticed was the incredible amount of pain she was in. it felt like someone took a knife and cut out her insides. She opened her eyes. One of the nurses and James was standing next to her. He gave her a weak smile.

"What happened?" she asked sleepily.

Jessie clutched her abdomen. Something felt different. She gave James a desperate look and then the memories started coming back to her. She remembered the contractions getting more and more intense. Doctors we all around her and they encouraged her to relax, but she couldn't. After enduring a few hours of excruciating pain, she felt a sharp stab. Afterwards she heard the nurses whisper and watched as they held something in their hands, something she couldn't see. They injected her with something and she fell asleep.

"It's ok", James said softly. "She's ok".

"She's...ok?" Jessie asked.

"Your very lucky", said the nurse. "We never had anyone deliver a child that was five months premature".

"She.. .She's ok?" Jessie repeated in disbelief. She thought for sure that the baby wouldn't survive. "But there was so much blood..." she said in shock.

"Well it was a close call", said the nurse.

Jessie looked at James. He smiled back at her and he took her hand.