Chapter 34

Chapter 34

This Monday was worse than any other Monday.

Why?

Well first, it’s Monday.

Second, I’ve had a terrible weekend.

Third, I’m going through my first heartbreak.

Fourth, mom won’t let me stay home.

Fifth, I’m seeing Lucas in less than an hour.

I sighed as I put on a pair of blue skinny jeans and a simple white T-shirt with the words ‘Free Hugs’ on it in the same blue color as my jeans.

I let my brown hair down today to cover at least a bit of my face.

I tried to fix the way I look and it worked a bit. I didn’t look as horrible as yesterday.

I reluctantly walked to school, regretting each step I was taking.

Why is my life going downhill?

I sighed as I walked through the hallways, forcing a smile when people greeted me. I got to my locker and saw Lucas heading to his locker which was next to mine.

When I looked at him, my heart broke again and the pain from yesterday came back, full force. Tears where threatening to spill but I bit my lip till I felt the metallic taste of blood in my mouth, forcing the tears back.

“Hey Ade,” I heard Jackson’s voice “You’re being generous today.”

He was referring to my ‘free hugs’ shirt. I closed my locker and faced him with a slight smile on my face.

“Hey,” I greeted him.

His smile disappeared and he frowned at me,

“What happened?”

I shrugged, “Nothing.”

He narrowed his eyes at me for a few seconds before realization flashed across his face and he gasped,

“He-He… You… didn’t,” he pointed at Lucas’s locker and at me.

I shook my head, a small sad smile on my face, “He was making out with some blond girl when I went to talk to him.”

My voice was low and broken.

His eyes widened and he directly pulled me into a hug, “I’m so sorry Ade.” His voice was full of sadness and concern.

I hugged him back, trying hard not to cry.

His hug was comforting but not enough to heal my broken heart.

We pulled away when the bell rang and went in separate ways.

I was dreading first period because Lucas was going to be there.

I walked into my math class with my head down, not wanting to see him or anyone else for that matter.

I sat in my usual seat at the back of the class. Mr. Martin came in and started the lesson then suddenly, the door swung open and Lucas came in as if he had no care in the world.

Our eyes met for a brief second before I quickly looked down again, not wanting him to see my heartbroken expression because I couldn’t hide it.

“Why are you late Mr. Taylor?” my math teacher asked.

“I overslept,” Lucas shrugged “Is there a problem?”

My eyes widened at his response.

Since when was he like that?