Chapter 20

Chapter 20

I walked in the hallways to my Chemistry class. I had only a couple of chemistry periods a week but they were more than enough! It’s not that I don’t like chemistry, it’s just that my teacher is… slow, REALLY slow.

Mr. Sam, my chemistry teacher, is around fifty years old. He only has a few white hairs outlining his head. He wears round glasses and his eyebrows are always knitted, as if he is frowning, even when he jokes. He has been teaching for decades. I feel like dying during his class because of how slow he is. Just by looking at him, you’ll burst out laughing. Just imagine him saying one of his weird, funny comments.

I arrived to class with a slight smile on my face as I remembered some of his actions. He was already there so I quickly took a seat and he began another boring lesson about ions.

“These” pause for three seconds “Ions” another three-second pause “Are…” Poof! He forgot what he was saying. He took his book and started reading intently. I was shaking with silent laughter and I noticed that all of my classmates were too.

He adjusted his glasses after a few minutes and then he cleared his throat, “Let’s move on to number six.”

I coughed to cover up my laugh and opened my book to the given page.

“Take two minutes to solve that exercise and then we will be correcting it,” he said as he sat behind his desk.

I didn’t do the work because I would miss the scene where he writes notes on his personal copybook. Unlike most of my classmates, I sat straighter and watched my slow teacher write.

Why am I watching him write? Well it’s because when he writes, his mouth forms a tiny ‘o’ and he looks like a gorilla. I snickered silently as he wrote in his notebook. Suddenly, he shoved the pen into the small ‘o’ which his lips formed. I raised my eyebrows in surprise and kept on chewing the pen as if he was going to devour it.

Then he stood up and started walking next to his desk. He took a paper which was lying there and shoved it in his mouth, just like he did with the pen. I swear I saw him chew it!

I laughed silently as I quickly solved the exercise before we started correcting it.

“Kevin,” Mr. Sam pointed to one of my classmates who had his hand raised wanting to answer.

Kevin said his answer which was correct. It had several solutions and Kevin chose one of them.

“No,” Mr. Sam said confidently “You’re answer is wrong even though it’s correct.”

We all stared at him in confusion before I burst out laughing. I couldn’t hold it in anymore. What kind of sentence is ‘you’re answer is wrong even though it’s correct’?

“May I ask why you’re laughing Ms. Marshall?” he asked, slow as ever.

“Y-you hahahaha… Answer haha wrong… correct!” I managed to say and the whole class exploded with laughter.

He gave me a hard look and opened his mouth to say something which I assume was to kick me out but the bell cut him off and I ran out of class, not bothering to hear his sentence which would take him at least seven minutes to say.

The students in my class were giving me amused looks in the hallways and I responded with a smirk.

“What did you do today?” Jackson asked with a knowing smile on his beautiful lips.

“I had chemistry with Mr. Sam. Enough said.” I replied and he chuckled.

“He’s one weird teacher,” Jackson shook his head.