Chapter 29

Chapter 29

The rest of the day passed in a blur and soon I was walking back home. I was surprised to find my parents and Brian home.

“Hey,” I smiled widely at my family “What are you guys doing here?”

“Mom and dad got out of work early and I don’t have any courses now,” Brian shrugged.

“That’s great! We can finally have a proper family night,” I replied, already thinking about which movie we should watch tonight.

“Oh no we can’t today, we’re invited for dinner at the Taylor’s,” mom answered.

My eyes widened. Dinner at Lucas’s?

“Uh w-what?” I asked.

“Yeah Marianne just called to invite us. I’m baking my famous chocolate cake,” mom squealed and walked back to the kitchen. Dad laughed at her and went to watch T.V.

I stayed in my place, my eyes slightly wide, thinking how bad this is.

“Are you alright?” Brian’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts “I thought you’d be happy to go to your best friend’s house for dinner.”

“Uh… I am.”

He eyed me skeptically. He knows I’m lying.

I sighed, “He hates me.”

Brian’s eyebrows shot up, “Lucas hates you?”

“Yep,” I answered popping the ‘p’.

Brian surprised me by laughing, “No way Ade, the boy adores you.”

“Uh no, he doesn’t. We had a fight.”

“Fight? Over what?”

“I have absolutely no idea,” I answered truthfully “He said he wanted some space and now he keeps glaring at me.”

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion, “That doesn’t make any sense.”

“I know,” I answered.

“I thought you two were the perfect best friends. You get along very well,” Brian said.

I sighed, “I’m gonna go do my homework.”

I walked up to my room with no intention of doing my homework. The worst possible scenarios of what could happen tonight flashed in my mind and I just wished I could not go. But knowing my mom, she would probably drag me there.

I closed my window so I could talk with Teddy privately.

“What should I do?” I groaned as I stared into Teddy’s black eyes.

“I’m going to have the worst night of my life! He’s gonna keep on glaring at me the whole time. I can imagine it!” I said.

Before I could continue complaining, my mom came barging into my room.

“You have to wear this tonight!” she squealed.

Oh no! Please not another dress.

Much to my displeasure, she took out a short red dress from the bag. My eyes widened at how beautiful it is but I don’t like to wear dresses. It would look good on Ashley but me?

“Put it on!” she encouraged.

“Mom please can I wear something else tonight?” I begged.

Her face fell and I knew what was about to come, “Oh, sure sweetie. I just thought you’d like it. I-I bought it for you when I got out of work today… It took me three hours to find it but its okay I’ll return it…”