Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I jumped when someone poked my head. Hard. I blinked a few times to adjust the light and that’s when I saw a grinning Lucas on my bed. What the hell?

“Lucas it’s Saturday. Why did you wake me up?! And why do you always poke me?” I screamed gruffly.

“I got a perfect idea! I couldn’t wait to tell you!” he exclaimed. He was giddy like a kid on Christmas.

I groaned and ran a hand through my hair trying to untangle it.

“What is it?” I asked sounding uninterested.

“I have a plan,” he started “A plan to help you and Jackson get closer.”

At the sound of Jackson’s name I got more interested.

I opened my mouth to protest but he didn’t let me speak.

“I got into the basketball team with Jackson. And we’re friends now. He’s pretty cool. So if I’m friends with him, and you’re my best friend then by substitution you guys become close friends. Perfect isn’t it?”

“By substitution? Seriously? Are you that interested in proving congruent triangles?” I said sarcastically and he rolled his eyes.

“It’s not time for jokes.” he said “Do you like my plan?”

“It’s useless.” I said jumping out of bed.

“Why?” he pouted.

“I don’t want your help,” I crossed my arms above my chest.

He sighed, “Come on Anna it’ll be fun! And you two will go back to the old days when you used to stay together.”

My mind drifted to when we were kids and I got a flashback of Jackson and I playing in the sandbox.

“The sandbox is all ours!” I said excitedly before I sat in it next to Jackson. We were in a nearby park on a hot summer day. The sun was in the middle of the blue cloudless sky.

“We are lucky today,” he smiled at me and we started playing. I didn’t mind if my jeans and yellow shirt got ruined. All I cared about was having fun with my best friend.

“The sand is hot,” I whined after a few minutes.

“Do you want to go get some ice-cream?” he suggested.

“Yeah!” I squealed and we both walked to the ice-cream parlor. We took the usual. Double chocolate ice-cream. It was our favorite. Jackson insisted that he pays. Even though we were only five at the time, Jackson was a true gentleman.

We ate our ice-cream giggling while sitting on one of the small benches. There was a teenage couple standing somewhere close to us. They were shouting and then, the girl slaps the guy and walks away crying.

I got sad looking at them fight. I was trying to think why they fought when Jackson spoke up,

“You’ll never leave me Adrianna, right? You’ll always be my best friend?” he said in a small voice.

“Of course! We’ll always be best friends!” I reassured him quickly. I can’t imagine my life without Jackson I thought. He was the one person I could never get sick of spending time with. He was honest and just by looking into his eyes; I knew that he truly cared about me as much as I cared about him. Our relationship was strong and back then I believed that nothing can break our friendship.