Chapter Thirty

I felt like I could breathe again.

I was still surrounded by darkness and my mind was still partially numb, but at least it finally feels like air was filling my lungs.

I can't remember what happened though. Why did I pass out? Where is everyone?

Feeling started to slowly come back to me and I could feel myself distinctly swaying. What was happening? My head started thumping with an uncomfortable ache right between my eyes while I also felt someone grasping my left hand. I could also feel that wherever I was lying was moving and that I had to be inside somewhere because I was unable to feel the wind or the sun on any exposed skin.

My hearing came back finally and it allowed me to confirm that I was indeed inside something that was moving. I was assuming it was a carriage because of the clopping of horse hooves I could hear rhythmically hitting the ground. The rush of even breathing came from my left, obviously whoever was holding my hand had fallen asleep while holding it.

I opened my eyes making the final confirmation that I was indeed inside a carriage that had all the windows curtained keeping any possible light out. I looked to see who was asleep beside me and smiled softly at the sight of the young Athena curled up inside a blanket that looked twisted and tangled around her thin body. I was also glad by the sight of new clothing, though exceptionally loose, at least she had her own clothes now.

I wondered why I was in the carriage as I sat up to find myself only in my white undershirt and leather leggings. I found my leather vest armour and my boots along with my weapons carefully placed in a corner of the carriage. I slowly pulled my hand from the girl's grip so that I could get up onto my knees and look out the window. I winced at the sudden brightness of the sun and pulled away quickly rubbing at my eyes.

Blinking I few times while my face scrunched up in preparation for the light again, I squinted my eyes as I pulled the curtain away. I blinked again rapidly to get my eyes use to the brightness before I could finally concentrate on the surroundings. I recognised a strangely shaped rock on the side of the road and realised that we were already near the clearing we had stopped on the way to the castle.

Castle. Enrique. Murder. Death. 400 years. Family.

It all came rushing back to me and I once again felt dizzy. I placed a hand to my head as disbelief filled me. Did that all really happen? Am I really that old? Or was I just being played by a monster who cared about nothing but himself and his beloved Master? No. it had to be real. Everything makes sense now with everything out in the open. As much as it shouldn't.

I needed air. I decided as my mind continued to run over everything making me feel slightly overwhelmed. So I got up and pulled on my vest, boots and weapons before I tied up my long black hair with a ribbon and opened the carriages door. I stood up straight in the doorway partially hanging out of it as I stretched.

I reached out with my mind and mana and searched for who I was looking for. I breathed out a soft sigh when I felt his animal mind called for him to come to me. It was only a second when Ruddy appeared with an excited neigh as a hello. I smiled at him softly before, with ease, I slid from the carriage and onto the saddle on his back. I closed the door with one last look at Athena's sleeping figure before pushing Ruddy into a run, which he appreciated.

Alpha! Anon exclaimed as we passed him but I didn't want to talk to him. I had things I needed to figure out and come to terms with before I could feel comfortable with explaining it to him yet. Where are you going? He asked with obvious concern.

I need to think Anon. I'm sorry, but please give me some privacy. I pleaded with him as I guided Ruddy into the surrounding forest.

Okay, I understand. I'll wait for you, when you're ready. Anon replied and I felt relieved.