The Letter

Happy monday guys!

There ended up being a few more people than you had expected. You thought it would just be the nine of you, but you should've known Meg would invite more. She was way more sociable than you.

You had intended to ask Kid about the fight, but he was nowhere in sight. You squirmed through the small crowd. It looked like Meg had invited most of the class

"Ugh, I kneed a break." You muttered to yourself.

You headed to your room, and flopped on your bed. You were never one for parties and crowds. You were a mite claustrophobic. Oh, who were you kidding? You could barely breathe when you and the other girls are in the same room for too long.

You took a deep breath, and you were about to rejoin the party when the door to your room opened. Kid popped his head through the crack, and scanned the room.

"There you are, (y/n)" He said, stepping into your room, closing the door behind him. "I was just looking for you."

"I was looking for you too!" You replied, jumping off your bed.

"You go first." He murmured softly"

"Well, today at the fight, that look on your face. . . Well, you seemed, I dunno. . .kind of proud?"

"Well, yeah. You managed to defeat Black Star, Maka, and I, and we're the top fighters in class. You and Meg did extremely well."

"But how? Black star crossed the rope himself, Maka almost died, and somehow we beat the son of Lord Death. Something just doesn't seem right here. . ."

"If I were you, I'd just accept that I won, and not worry about it. I'm sure either it's genuine skill, or luck."

"But you actually win most of your battles! This was Meg and I's first time actually fighting against living things. Our classmates, in this case. There was no reason to be this good. There is some kind of alternate. . .thing going on here."

You held pride in your extensive vocabulary most of the time, but you were having trouble finding the proper words for once.

"I'm sure everything's okay."

Kid seemed like he was about to give you a reassuring shoulder pat, but he paused, and dropped his hand. You wanna go back out there with me?"

You grabbed a pillow and hugged it close to your face.

"No thank you, I'm claustrophobic. That crowd may as well be for a murderers convention. That's what it'll feel like."

"Okay, then. I'll stay here with you. You got a deck of cards?"

You pointed to your bedside table, where you always kept a deck for no reason in particular. Shuffling cards helped calm you down.

Kid shuffled, and started dealing some cards. Six decks of four each, and four cards, face down, in the center.

"The game is James Bond."

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

After playing a good number of rounds of James Bond, you decided to peek outside. You saw that a lot of the others had gone. There was just Soul, Maka, Black Star, Tsubaki, Liz, Patty, and somewhere around four or five kids from class. And of course, Kid.

"So, What's going on?" You asked.

"Well, a lot of people have either left, or are thinking of leaving."

Meg put the last fork in the dishwasher, and turned, placeing her arms on the couner behind her.

"So, what were you two doing in (y/n)'s room?" She asked, smirking.

"Nothing! I swear! We were just playing cards!"

Meg wiggled her eyebrows a bit in response, then yawned, and mumbled something about kicking people out of her house.

They obliged with little hesitation. Everyone was very tired, and you and Meg were no different.

You had just finished your share of the cleanup, when Meg called to you, saying she was going to go to bed, and reminding you to lock the door, and close the windows.

You went around and followed her instructions, then decided to go to sleep.

You changed, and laid down, encompassing yourself in warm, fluffy blankets. You hadn't realized just how exhausted you were. You fell asleep as soon as your head hit the pillow.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

The next morning, you got up much earlier than usual. It was still dark outside. You went into the kitchen, and found yourself alone in a dark room.

You looked around. At first glance, the room appeared to be empty. Now, when you scanned it again, there was someone sitting on the counter.

You jumped, and stared at the figure. It gracefully slid off the counter, and landed on its feet.

When it looked at you, you realized it was a woman.

A girl, rather. She looked around your age, maybe younger. She had long blonde hair, cascading down her back, and icy blue eyes, which she used to stare you down.

You were the first to break the stare. Her gaze was hard, and made you uncomfortable.

"Who are you?" You asked.

"That's not important." She replied in a cool voice.

"Then what is?" You demanded.

"This." She held out one of her black-gloved hands. In it, was an envelope. It was pretty generic. Plain white envelope, with your name and address printed neatly on the back. The front had some sort of wax seal, which had the image of two cats with their tails coiled together.

You thought the seal looked ridiculous, but the seriousness in the girls face let you know that you should refrain from commenting.

You began to open the envelope.

"Not here, open it when you're alone."

"I still don't even know who you are." You replied.

The girl smirked, and with a quick hand gesture, she was gone.

You opened your eyes, and realized you were still in your bed. The sun was shining, and Meg was calling to you.

Wow, that girl gets up early. you thought.

You were about to go to find her, when you noticed that you were clutching something tightly against your chest.

It was the letter. It looked exactly the same as when the girl had given it to you.

You held it in shaking fingers, and slowly opened it.