Chapter 10

I lay in bed, staring up at the blank ceiling. It's oddly quiet. The hallways empty. Even the sound of the security guards walking up through them. I let my mind wander back to home. Have I really been gone that long? Long enough for Jared to find another love? Long enough for my parents to have another child? It feels like it's only been weeks, but it's been months. They've moved on. They don't know the pain I've been through, and what I'm going through.
I roll over onto my side and stare at the brick wall. I start to count the cracks in the wall, but then get bored and close my eyes. I just want to sleep. To drift off into another world. Never come back to this one.
-
-
"Come on Kayla!" Derek yells. "Get your ass out of bed!" He shakes me.

"Five more minutes." I groan.

"That's what you said five minutes ago!" He says and grabs my arms.

I'm thrown out of bed. I hit my head on the bed frame. I wince and rub it. I groan as I get up and go to the bathroom to get ready.
-
-
My body slams to the ground. I let out a groan as I start to get up.

"What's up with you today?" Derek asks.

"I didn't sleep well." I say.

"Too quiet?" He asks.

I nod.

"Yeah, it was weird." He says.

I look over at the security guard. His gun in his hands, although I've never seen him use it.

"What are we doing here again?" I ask

"They said for war. We're supposed to fight so the U.S government can take over the world. They're fighting wars right now. That's why it was quiet, they were drafting the higher levels." Derek says.

A lump in my throat forms. "Derek, what if they take you?" I ask.

He shrugs "I'll have no choice but to leave. They most likely won't take me cause I'm training someone." He says.

I nod and look away from the security guard.

-
-
All the groups come together today. No one knows why. It's the first time ever.

A middle aged lady with silky brown hair walks up to the microphone.

"War is getting worse. We have been drafting all the people we can. We have made a decision. If you've been here for more than a week, you'll be drafted"

My world stops. Everything freezes. Derek has to grip my arm to keep me from falling. We're all gonna die. I look up at Derek, who is looking straight forward. Fear is in his eyes. He looks down at me and gives me a small nod. He knows it too, I'm not gonna last.