Ten • Home Sweet Home, Here We Come

Ebony

  Multiple bullets smashed into the fragile windshield, shattering, covering mine and Niall's lap with many pieces of broken glass. Some pieces scratched the base of our skin, from the intense impact. My foot slammed into the pedal, jerking our bodies back against the truck seats as we flew past Harry, making him jump out of the way.

  Mine and Niall's body jerked forward from the impact of the truck slamming into the ground, making us both grunt. The truck straightened it's course, as my chest tightened, almost hitting a thin tree, but I managed to swerve around it.

Forced winds came through the shattered windshield, pushing against our faces. My nose tightened from the coldness because of the speed the car was going. Niall turned his head back, looking through the back window, watching for Harry, "Ebony, go!"

  I looked through the rearview mirror to see why Niall was yelling for me to go and immediately regretted it. Harry was speeding up towards us in a black expensive car, dangerously driving through the forest. Adrenaline pumped through my body as I pushed the truck all the way to a hundred-twenty, making the truck bounce against the bumps in the dirt.

  The worn out wheels shrieked against the pavemented road, as we turned onto a new surface. Aligning the truck again, it rumbled as I pushed it to go as fast as it could again. The truck swerved carelessly against the moist road, from the sound of a bullet bouncing off of the metal part of the truck, from Harry's aim. Looking back, Harry was recklessly driving as he pointed his gun towards our moving truck, gripping his steering wheel to his expensive car.

  Niall tugged the seat belt over his chest, clicking it into the seat. He returned his hand to the handle above him, wrapping his hand around it aggressively. I reached the seat belt over my chest, too, wanting to feel a little more secure. We sat in silence as we continued down the straight road, thinking about all of the possibilities that could happen to us. Please, leave us alone...

  Niall turned his body again, glaring through the tinted back window of the truck. He turned back, confusion being his expression. "He's not there..."

  "Wh-what?" I stammered, my breaths were heavy from the intense panicking from earlier. Harry's jet black car disappeared from behind us, not being seen anywhere in the area. Maybe that was the end of it...?

  "He's gone!" Niall cheered, punching the glove box from full excitement, making me jump in my seat. A grin spread on my face, laughing loudly with Niall, our bodies filling with joy.

  The truck continued down the road over a hundred, wanting to get far as way as possible from that hell hole. The road was vacant as we sped down it, making me thankful.

  "Home, sweet home, here we-" Niall's sentence was cut off as the truck was jerked surprisingly, making us spin against the road. Pain ached through my body from the sudden impact, my head too dizzy to realize what was happening.

  The tires shrieked against the road as another car was smashed into the end of our truck, turning the truck aggressively. The black car stopped pushing itself against us, making the truck immediately halt. Loud groans left my lips as I lazily looked over at the mysterious car, noticing that Harry was in the driver's seat, turning back to prepare to reverse--probably wanting to hit us again. That son of a bitch...

  My tongue ran over my oozing lip, licking up the fresh blood, letting the metallic taste fill my mouth. I ignored everything around me, pushing my foot into the gas, turning the truck to speed down the road, trying to get away from the wreck.