Eight • Another Step Closer

Ebony

The voices in my head kept screaming, their quick paces in words becoming quicker by the second. I could react in many ways, but all I did was stand there silently.

"What are you doing just standing there?!" snake stood behind the bars, anxiously tightening his hands around them, "Do something-"

"Sh! We don't need him coming down here. Just let me think, damn it..." I chewed on the skin around my fingernails, trying to calm my nerves. "She would have been a good mother, I'm sure," my heart clenched to my own words about Tatum. "Stupid!" I yelled at myself, clenching my hair in my tight grip.

"Hey-hey!" snake violently shook the bars to the cell, trying to get my attention.

"Sh! Why do you keep yelling?!" I whispered back, earning a harsh filled expression from snake.

"Because... You're not listening to me and I was like, having a full conversation with you!" he loudly whispered back, creating an unwanted argument with me.

"Okay-okay... What did you say?" I ignored Tatum's body at the moment, wanting to forget about it for a minute.

"Get those keys over there and help me out," snake reached his arm through the bars, pointing towards a ring on the wall, holding a small key.

My heart thumped louder as you could hear my footsteps echo throughout the small room. "Why does he keep them in here?"

"To taunt me, of course... but that bastard will regret it now," snake bounced on his feet, anxious to get out. He had a chance earlier when I was dragged out...

The key fit perfectly the first try but it gave some force to turn in the rusted lock. The click was faint, but the door popping out showed us it opened. "Have you ever been out, snake?"

"Uh, you can just call me Niall. And, yeah... It's been a long time since I've been out of that cell," Niall reached his arms up, stretching them back as he gave out a loud grunt, stretching his whole body.

Everything felt calm, peaceful, almost like nothing else was going to happen to us. But everything crashed down once I turned to walk up the stairs. Because there she laid, eye's still, a thick puddle of blood forming around her body. "Oh, my God..." my hands covered my mouth, as I felt my harsh breaths against my palm.

How could I forget about her? "Oh, wow... I forgot about that situation," Niall stood beside me, not caring to comfort me as I stood there sobbing at the deceased body. How could we forget?! It just happened!

"Wh-what do we do?" I bent down, rubbing my hand down her face, closing her no longer vibrant eyes. I took the piece of thick glass out from her hand tossing it across the floor, stepping in the puddle of blood, the thick liquid spreading through my toes. "Did you see what happened?"

"Yeah, uh," Niall rubbed his dirty hand through his greasy hair, thinking on how to tell me what happened. "Well, I heard a lot of screaming from upstairs and I assumed it was Tatum and Harry. Then I heard a loud thud and then she ran down the stairs with that piece of broken vase in her hand. She then stood there thinking about it for a while. I tried stopping her, but then she dragged it across her throat and collapsed to the floor. I don't think she thought she'd suffer, I'm sure she thought she'd go out easy."

It hurt knowing that she thought that was the only way out. She's pathetic for going out "easy", though. "Was it long before I came down?"

"No, but she was calling out for a guy, but who knows who it was," Niall shrugged. Niall gripped her wrist, dragging the deceased body, pushing her against the wall. He took a dirty blanket and placed it over her body, a trail of blood leading towards her body from where she used to lay.

I didn't feel like asking questions anymore, but I did anyways as I stood there choking on my own tears, "What do we do now?"

"I want to get out of this hell hole," Niall began trotting up the steps, leaving me to stare at Tatum's dead body. My nose tingled as I forced myself to not cry anymore, following Niall up the stairs.

Niall soon stopped heading up, gripping the rail. "What's wrong?"

"I'm just over thinking everything... Anything could happen outside of that door. This is like, our safe zone," he glanced back at me, then looking at the room behind me.

"You're right, but we're one step closer, and we need to move forward to get to the next step..." I rubbed his back, comforting him.

"One step closer..." he repeated to himself, thinking about it. "Yeah, okay... On three, okay?" he positioned himself in front of the door.

"Okay, on three," I stiffened, getting prepared for what's to come on the other side of the door. My cheeks felt tight with the movements of my lips, from my dried tears.

"One..." he looked back at me, fear filled all throughout his face. His hand tightened around the doorknob, "Two..." It popped open slightly as he turned the knob. "Three," the door flew open, to just show the empty kitchen, all of this build up for nothing.

"Oh, thank God," I whispered, letting my body relax from tensing. We stood there, thinking about the next step. "I can't think of a way to get out... We might have to, uh, knock him out or something," my hands fumbled with each other from all of the anxiety filling my body, whispering so the masked man upstairs doesn't hear us.

"Knock him out?!" Niall suddenly yelled, startling me.

"Sh! Why are you yelling?!" I smacked my hand on his shoulder, silencing him.

Niall then trotted towards the wooden dining room table, picking up the wooden chair that was placed underneath the table, "Follow me, and close the door behind you," he walked towards me with the chair.

"What are you doing?" I questioned as we walked back down the stairs, back to the basement, not forgetting to shut the door.

He walked towards the middle of the floor, adjusting his shoulders, "Stay back." He lifted the chair back over his head, pulling it over his shoulder and smashing it into the ground forcefully.

"Are you crazy-" he interrupted me by picking up the chair again and smashing it into the ground harder than the first time, it falling apart in big pieces.

He grabbed one of the large pieces, it almost shaping the size of a bat. "Now we just need a plan and I could knock him out with this," he smiled showing his rotted teeth, impressed with himself.

"We don't have much time," I panicked, rushing my thoughts. "All I could think of is getting his attention, and making him come down and corner me. Then you come out from behind and smash it against his head, then boom, we're another step closer."

"Yeah, that could work. Let's go before he comes down-" Niall was then interrupted by the upstairs door slamming open, causing the walls to vibrate from the force of the door.

My breath then hitched to his voice traveling down the stairs, "Mouse? You down here?" Of course...

_____

Thank you for the constant reads, they make me happy every time I see I got a read. I don't even know how you guys found my book. But, anyways, thank you. c: