One • Hide 'n Seek

Ebony

The leaves crunched under my thick boot, as I held my hands close to my chest, trying to keep them warm. The more steps I took, the louder the crispy leaves sounded in the silent forest. The stars beamed down from the dark sky, making the water dazzle from the river near me from the reflected light.

My boot sunk down in a mud hole, making me grimace in disgust as I was soon approaching my house. My humble home came in view and I grinned with relief, wanting to get out of this gloomy weather. The wooden door gave a piercing squeak as I entered. "Father?" my voice echoed through the vacant home, showing me no one was in the building.

I kicked off my muddy boots, as I shut the rusty sprung door, forgetting to lock it. My feet ached from being freed from the cramped space of my boots, making me squirm my toes.

As I trotted up the logged stairs, it thudded throughout the silent house. My hip smashed into the corner of a wooden bar table from my fast movements, making me slow down. I wheezed in pain, as I placed my hand over the aching area, limping slightly towards the window I want to gaze out of.

Finally sitting in front of my opened window, I gazed up at the peaceful stars letting my mind wonder where ever it wanted. Decorated pillows laid around my body, as I leaned my chin on my two hands like I'm in a dramatic scene.

Leaves rustled in the faint wind, making it whistle through the midnight sky. I wish my family was home for company, they haven't been home today, making me figure they're visiting grandma in town.

I tiredly peered out into the swaying tree's, watching leaves dance with each other, making peaceful noises. A dull shadow cascaded over the ground that made out to be a mysterious man. My eyes scanned closer, trying to see who was standing alone outside in the middle of nowhere. The dark shadow casually came closer to my quiet home, letting me see him closer.

My heart leaped into my throat as I got a clearer view of his body features. His figure was tall, covered with a stained black hoodie. A leather like mask hugged tightly to his head, not letting me see his facial features. There were dark eye holes, but no mouth hole. Dirty white stitches were spread out on the mask, glowing in the starlight. His arms were draped down beside him, one hand holding a blood-dripping knife.

I swiftly ran to lock the door of the room I was in, having no time to lock the spring door downstairs, making me regret thinking not to. "Please, please," my fingers wrapped around a silky string hanging from the ceiling, tugging it down, preparing to hide in the attic. A wooden ladder slowly squeaked down, planting on to the dusty grown. My socks stuck a little to the rough wooden surface, as I hastily climbed up.

The door snapped closed after I quickly tugged the stairs up from underneath me. My breaths became heavy as I tried to faintly walk to the end of the dusty attic. The wood underneath me creaked making me freeze in position, afraid the unwanted man would hear me. I stood in place as I tried to listen closely for any signs of the man coming close. This can't be happening...

Loud bangs could be heard from downstairs, as the door--I had entered before--squeaked open abruptly. My eyes closed shut as I felt the mysterious man come closer to the attic. When I opened my eyes hesitantly, I heard his heavy footsteps coming close. "Come out, princess," a muffled voice came from under the aged floor, more muffled from his disturbing mask.

A quiet sob left my lips, as my chilly hands clamped over my mouth, shaking violently. His footsteps faded away making me feel relieved until his husky holler echoed through the house, "You're going to regret hiding from me, mouse!" My spine shuttered to his random nickname he suddenly gave me.

I tried to shuffle my feet slightly closer to the end of the attic, trying to find somewhere to hide, wanting to feel more protected. As my feet continued to glide against the dusty floor, I heard the attic door squeak open, as the ladder clanked on the ground underneath me. "I'm coming, mouse," his voice sounded inches away, as his heavy footsteps slowly made their way up the ladder.

Tears brimmed my eyes as his footsteps became louder, showing me he was closer. How did he find me? I hid my petite body behind a storage box, as his body came into view. His mask shadowed around itself, making goosebumps raise the hairs on my arms. His black hoodie had paint streaks across it, as his pants had dried blood spots splattered against it. "I know you're in here, mouse. I can smell your honey scented perfume."

My body trembled as I stayed in a squat position, not wanting him to come closer. His head snapped towards my direction as a loud whimper escaped my lips. "There you are, mouse," his body sprinted towards me, making me shove the box towards him, slowing him down. My body sprung towards the ladder, tumbling down them from my sharp movements. Unpromising footsteps could be heard from behind me as I sprinted down the hallway. "Don't run away from me, mouse!"

My body sprinted quicker down the logged stairs, causing me to slip down a couple, but I continued to try and get away from the deranged man chasing me. The wooden door squeaked open hastily as I ran towards the swaying trees, the chilly air stinging my throat from my large breath intakes. His hand gripped my shoulder roughly, pulling me back, letting him wrap his arms around my shivering body. "Help, someone!"

"You know no one's out there, mouse," his cracked mask rubbed against my ear, making me cry out from the stinging contact. He didn't bother covering my shouting mouth, knowing there was no one for miles to hear my cries for help. His body dragged me back forcefully, making my heels scrape through the moist leaves.

Tears ran down my numb cheeks as I let out loud frightened whimpers. "Mommy!" I couldn't help but call for someone who I felt protected with, letting myself think there's a chance from this. My body thrashed in his tight grip, making him groan in disapproval. He let my body limp to the floor, causing me to crawl away in the wet dirt.

"Damn it!" his voice boomed through the forest, making calm birds chirp away fearfully. He grabbed a fistful of my hair, tugging my head back, making my movements tense. "Stop moving," he muttered, bringing his dirty knife to my arm, slashing it quickly. Stinging pain ran through that area making me suck in a sharp breath, screaming out in pain. "I won't hurt you anymore if you cooperate," he bargained.

My body listened to his demanding words, as he dragged me by my frail wrists. Short breaths left my lips as I tried to calm myself. My eyes glanced up at the dark sky, as the stars shined down on me.

My butt scraped against the fallen sticks on the ground, as he slowed his pace. My head fell back curious where he was taking me, looking through his moving legs. An abandoned house became larger, as the further he walked, making me squirm in his grip. "No!" I shook my arms, trying to let him lose his grasp on me.

"Mouse, stop it!" he hoarsely yelled, tugging me quicker, trying to get there before he lost his hold on me.

"My name isn't mouse!" the words left my lips stinging my throat from the crisp air. He lifted my body off the ground, gripping his fingers into my waist, tossing my body on his shoulder. The mask sharply scrapped the bare part of my stomach, stinging in the cold air. I jolted my feet, as fast as I thrashed my arms, throwing a tantrum, "I don't want to be here!"

He dropped my body onto the ground, giving up on trying to hold me, as I tried to scramble away. He suddenly pointed a pistol at my head, pushing down the hammer with his thumb, gaining my attention. "Quit acting up!"

My chest rose heavily as I stared at the inside of the pistol, getting a view of the new bullet. "Shoot me," my breaths came out faintly, but I managed to make them loud enough for the both of us. The words left my mouth, not thinking about them beforehand, but I didn't regret them. I rather be dead, than be with a crazed man. My eyes fluttered close, waiting for him to pull the trigger to end me. The screech of the bullet was heard, but a numbing pain was not running through my body.

My eyes shot open from the realization of what could have happened, staring into the emptiness of his mask. "I don't want to put a bullet in my artwork," his loud chuckle was muffled, as my feared screams echoed throughout the empty forest.

_____

Thank you for making it this far, so far. Hopefully, you want to keep going.

Mouse is going to be her nickname, so don't get annoyed if she gets called that a lot. But, yes, her legal name is Ebony.