Chapter 13 - ANGER

Edited.

x HIRA x

The low howling of the wind surrounded me as I walked through the gates of our mosque, seeing and hearing the cheering of the male youth soccer players warming up on the gated field. I watched as Waleed blowed the whistle hung around his neck, yelling out at a few of the players and I decided I'd go to greet him since I hadn't seen him at home at all. He must've come straight here after work.

I didn't really pay attention to the other players, but I would be lying through my teeth if I said my eyes didn't catch Amir as soon as the soccer field was in sight.

He was clad in black soccer shorts and a red soccer jersey, probably repping a team that I had no idea of. His back was facing my way, his feet apart and his hands joined behind his head as he breathed deeply.

Was it normal to think a guy looked good while breathing like that in a soccer uniform?

Astaghfirullah, Hira.

I shook my head and approached the fence, pulling my gaze away from Amir and looking at my brother instead as I called out for him. At my voice, he immediately turned around and looked at me, a smile growing on his lips. He told the team to keep going with their warm ups before running over to me and kissing either of my cheeks.

"So how was it?" He asked, before saying anything else and making me laugh.

"Alhamdulillah. Pretty good. It was quicker than I expected actually. They both apologised and I told them everything was fine and whatnot." I shrugged, looking up at him, trying not to make it a big deal.

"So everything's all good and sorted now then?" He asked.

I nodded with a smile.

"Alhamdulillah." He grinned. "How'd the other thing go?" He asked. I raised my eyebrows in question. "Amir. He told me he was going to talk to you this morning at school."

"Oh," I cleared my throat. "Yeah, it was standard. He just said that he's sorry and he didn't know why he did it and stuff." I mumbled, feeling a little awkward telling my older brother that.

"He told me he got jealous." Waleed said, looking directly into my eyes with his dark ones.

"He did not." I said immediately with a gasp.

"Well, that's what he said to me. He's acting weird now though." Waleed said.

"Weird how?" I asked, glancing over Waleed's shoulder and seeing that Amir was already looking my way.

Waleed shrugged, making me look back at him. "Not as cocky or loud as he normally is during practice." He shrugged.

I shrugged my shoulders as well, not knowing why he may have been acting weird. I guess it could have been that his dad also told him the arrangement was off? Or maybe that was just my wishful thinking. Amir didn't want to marry me either, right?

My phone began vibrating and I cleared my throat. "Whatever, umm...I need to go. Hawwa is waiting for me." I said showing him her name that was displayed across the top of my phone screen. He nodded and tapped my shoulder before turning around and running back to the centre of the field.

x AMIR x

They finished talking about whatever it was they were discussing so seriously and Waleed gestured her off, but right as Hira turned to leave, someone from the soccer team called to her.