Chapter 19

"Mind if I get a shower?" Joe asks, hopping up from the sofa and stretching his arms toward the ceiling.
"No, go ahead. The towels are on the shelf in the bathroom."

Joe makes his way to the bathroom, leaving me alone.
My phone keeps on vibrating with messages and missed calls.

All from Mel.

I'm not going to bother with her anymore, not what after she's done.

Bitch.

I'm humming a song that's been stuck in my head for days, One Dance by Drake.
Joe has been playing it around the house non-stop since he arrived, at first I protested, but I now know all the lyrics.

I need a one dance, got a Henessey in my hand. I sing, turning on Spotify and switching the BlueTooth speakers up to the max. I hope the neighbours don't mind. Oh well.

I'm dancing around the room like a lunatic, blasting out the tunes, when I hear Joe laughing his head off from the door.
He's standing in the door-frame, towel around his waist, hair dripping on the floor, obviously out of the shower.
"Haha!" I blush. "Care to join me?"
"Sure." Joe laughs. "Let me get dressed first."
"Awh." I moan cheekily. "Do you have to?"
"I'm afraid so." Joe chuckles and goes into the bedroom.
One Dance is already over by the time Joe is ready and now Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande is playing.

Something 'bout you, makes me feel like a dangerous woman. Something 'bout, something 'bout, something 'bout you.

Joe comes out wearing a khaki over-sized t-shirt, black ripped-knee jeans and grey Vans.

I offer my hand, asking to dance, and Joe foolishly goes to accept it.
Just as he touches the tip of my fingers, I 'Dab', laughing uncontrollably.

"Mwhahahaha!" I cackle.
"Oh my God, I should've seen that coming!" Joe says, smacking the palm of his hand against his forehead.

"So." Joe says after our dance session. "What would you like to do today, other than dance amazingly?"
"Spend it with you." I smirk, scrunching up my face, pretending to smile sweetly.
"Blah! Your so cringe!" Joe laughs. "Seriously though, name anywhere in the world and we can go there."
"Hmm. Anywhere in the world?" I ponder, scratching my chin. "There's a carnival open for the weekend, we could go there?"
"Yeah!" Joe shouts excitedly like a child. "Come on then!"

We arrive at the pier, colourful market stalls stuck down in the ground and tasty smells of candyfloss and ice-cream wafting in from the beach.

"What are we waiting for?" Joe says, tugging at my hand when we get out of the car.
"Hold on, you big child! I need my handbag!"

The sounds of children screaming with the thrill of all the rides, cries of terror and laughter can be heard as Joe and I, hand-in-hand, move ever closer to the summer festival.

"Do you want an ice-cream?" Joe asks, looking longingly over at the brightly coloured van, over-crowded with sweaty people. Charming.

"No thanks, I think I'll pass on that idea. We could go on some rides?" I suggest, pointing with my free hand over to the ferris wheel.
The look on Joe's face tells me he really doesn't want to, due to his fear of rollercoasters.

"Joe." I say, staring directly into his eyes. "You've been on the London Eye, haven't you?"
"Yeah." Joe shrugs, not returning the gaze.
"So, this ferris wheel is about half the size of that! You'll be fine! Especially as I'm here to protect you from all evil!" I joke, giving him a reassuring hug.
"No! I'm the one that protects you!" Joe says, hugging back.
"Well come on and protect me then!"

It worked. We're holding onto the cold steel bar that protects us from falling out of the carriage and are waiting for the ride to begin.

"Ready?" I say excitedly, squeezing Joe's hand lovingly.
"I'm gonna have to be, aren't I?" Joe laughs, unsure of himself.

The wheel begins to jolt into action and Joe's grip on my hand becomes more firm.
I sigh and rest my head on Joe's shoulder, and I feel him relax almost instantly.

When we reach the top, the ferris wheel comes to a stop and Joe and I are left gazing out onto the horizon of the English Channel, it's like a sheet of glass it's so smooth.

"See?" I say gently. "This isn't so bad now, is it?"
"No, it's brilliant." Joe admits, gazing into my pale grey eyes.

"You have nice eyes." Joe chuckles, coming closer.
"You have a nice face." I snigger, breaking the gaze and laughing.
Joe breaks down into laughter also but then things get more serious.
"Cate." Joe says, all joking aside.
"Yeah?"
"Did I ever tell you I love you?"
"Too many times for me to forget."
"Well let me remind you. I love you Cate Barron."

Joe looks out onto the ocean and shouts at the top of his lungs, making sure everyone can hear.
"I LOVE CATE BARRON!"
"Oh my God! You're such a little weirdo!" I laugh. "But you're my weirdo."

I look at Joe, pretending to go all shy, looking up from under my eyelashes and fluttering them rapidly.
Joe takes my cheek in his hand and pulls me towards him.
Next thing I know we're kissing, at the very tip-top of the ferris wheel, not caring about anyone else.

These little moments that last a second,
Stay with us for a lifetime.

Hiya! Sorry for no update last night, I had a bit of writer's block, I didn't know what to write tbh. But now we're back on track with things and (hopefully!) Chapter 20 will be published tomorrow... it's a gud 'un!
Vote and Share, (only if you want to! But I really appreciate the support you give😊)
Love you,
cb_sugg xx