Chapter 39: Out of the Woods?

Start from the beginning

"I was so worried about you two", he said. "But everything is going to be okay".

"Where is she?" Jessie asked.

"The baby can't yet breath or feed on her own. They had to put her in an incubator and hook her up to an IV and breathing tube", James explained. "She's amazing, I can't wait for you to meet her".

"I need to see her now", Jessie said as she tried to stand up.

"Let us help you", said the nurse.

He got her a wheelchair and they tried help her get in, but Jessie insisted on walking. They went to the room where the baby lay. She was in a clear box and various tubes were attached to her face and hands. Her eyes we closed and she was wrapped in a very tiny hospital robe. The infant was small enough to fit in just one hand.

"She's so little" said Jessie. "Can I touch her?"

"Of course", said the nurse.

The nurse opened one of the small windows of the incubator. Jessie and James reached their hands in and gently touched her back.

"She likes it when you do this", James said as he rubbed her foot.

The infant smiled in her sleep and opened her mouth. Jessie thought it looked like a silent laugh.

"You came to see her before?" Jessie questioned.

"As soon as they told me you were okay I left the room and followed the nurses tending to her. I watched them clean her up and hook her up to the machines and then I sat here and pet her until they told me that your anesthetic was about to wear off", he explained. "You were out for almost four hours".

"I can't believe it. This happened so fast", said Jessie.

"Neither can I", he replied.

"Did you contact anyone?" she asked.

"Not directly. I gave one of the nurses Meowth's number. The nurse called him and let him know that we were ok and that we would call him later", James explained.

James' cell phone ran.

"You should answer it. I will stay here", said Jessie.

James nodded and walked out of the room while Jessie stayed behind and gently stroked the baby's back. She whispered to it softly.

"Hello?" said James as he picked up the phone.

"Weeze were wonderin' when yous were coming back", said Meowth. "Yere Pokémon are all freaked out and everyone's worried".

"Meowth, we can't leave right now. Can you come here?" he asked.

"What do you means ya can't leave? How come?" Meowth questioned.

"It's hard to explain. You can bring the others here too", James replied.

"Ok", he said after a moment of silence.

They hung up the phone and James went back to check on Jessie.

"I told them to come here", James informed her.

"Do you mean everyone?" she asked incredulously.

"Maybe, I told Meowth that we couldn't leave and that he should come on down", he responded.

"They sure are going to be surprised", Jessie commented.

"That's for sure", he agreed.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Meowth and Lucy gathered everyone in their party to their cabin, including Jessie and James' Pokémon.

"I brought you alls here 'cuz Jessie and James said dat if any of yous want to know what's goin' on, yere gonna have to meet dem in de hospital", Meowth announced.