Chapter 27: Chains

"What the hell?" A voice calls over and I look up and see him running towards me.

"There's gotta be a key somewhere!" I call to him with frustration. I've been working at the chains for a few moments now but I can't get them off without a key or something to pick it with. It's not until I speak that out loud that I start to feel the neck chain closing in on me. My breath picks up and I feel myself panicking as if I'll never get out of it.

"Calm down, calm down. Let's get inside and we'll figure it out" Spencer says when he reaches me. I nod to him to accept the idea and he helps me stand. I look over my shoulder before walking away and he follows my gaze "don't, it's bad everywhere" he says in a low voice. I understand what he meant and I try and keep my gaze down as we walk towards the house.

His mother's house is closer to where we are and he leads me up the steps. His mother's eyes are wide with confusion and fear as we walk past her on the front porch. "Is she okay?" I whisper once we are inside.

"I don't know" he says back honestly. He guides me into the living room I was in once before when I first arrived here and I sit down on the couch. "I'll get you a drink and then go look for a key" he tells me before leaving momentarily. He returns with a glass of water and places it in front of me on a coaster he grabbed from the side table. After he leaves I stare at the glass and where it sits and my mind is blown. Even though the world is completely gone to shit, some people still want to use coasters? The laugh that escapes me comes off as crazy and I lift the glass to my lips chugging down every last drop that is inside. When I'm done I throw the glass against the wall with anger. The shattered pieces of the cup lay shining on the ground and I feel a bit of relief wash over me as I compare that to how I feel at this moment. Shattered beyond repair.

"None of the bodies have keys on them. At least that I could find with a quick search. We can wait until later to go through more but everyone wants to put them all outside the town." He says.

"I don't care, I just want it off of me" I say trying to stretch my neck out feeling closed in again. He nods back in return and leaves me quickly to retrieve something from another room.

"Let's try this." He says bringing in two knives. He puts one of the table and props himself next to me. He grabs my wrists and puts them on his lap, picking at one of the locks. It takes about 20 minutes but he finally gets one of my hands free "there!" He says as it clicks and the chain opens slightly. I quickly remove it and spin my wrist a couple of times.

"How's your eye?" He asks me before starting to work on the other wrist. I forgot about the injury until now but the mention of it brings back the pain.

"Well, now that you mentioned it" I say putting my free hand to my eye.

He glances up with a sideways glance "sorry." he says "hold on, i'll get something for it" he stands up quickly and returns shortly after with a bag of peas. "it's not frozen but it's cold. It'll help a little" he says as he passes it over.

"Thanks" I mumble back taking it from him. I hold the bag of peas to my eye as he works to release the other chain from my wrist. This one takes a bit longer but it eventually clicks and releases me. I sigh with relief and place the bag of peas down on the table. "Ok, last one. Where's the lock?" I go to feel around the neck chain for it.

"Here" Spencer says pointing out the lock on the right side of my head. Spencer moves from the table to the couch to pick at the lock. I keep my head still as the knife scratches against the old brass. His knees are pushed into the couch as he faces me to get the best view of the lock from above.

"What the hell?" I hear the saying again from a voice on the other side of the room. Spencer turns his head around quickly and although I try the chain keeps it from getting as far as I attempted. I didn't get a full look but I would recognize that leather vest anywhere.

"Daryl!" I exclaim a little to excitedly. I quickly change the tone of my voice "what are you doing here?" I ask him trying to look in that direction with my eyes.

"Was on our way back and heard gun shots, got here as fast as we could." He says stepping into the room. "Everything okay?" He raises an eyebrow towards Spencer and I.

"You talk with Rick yet?" Spencer asks him. Daryl nods his head once to confirm he had so Spencer continues "Everything's good in here. Just getting these chains off of Shannon." he tells him before going back to work at picking the lock.

I can't see from where I am sitting but I assume Daryl stands there watching as Spencer does his best to free me. "Oh for shits sake, let me" Daryl finally steps in after a few minutes. He grabs the knife from Spencer and basically pushes him out of the way. Clearly annoyed, Spencer moves from where he was kneeling next to me and steps to the side of the couch.

I give him a small smile of gratitude for what he already has done and he returns one back to me. A few moments pass when I hear a click. I breath out a sigh of relief and Daryl's hand releases the embrace of the chains. His hand wraps around my neck gently to help guide it off of me "Thanks" I say to him after it's off and lying on the floor.

Daryl doesn't say anything but instead makes his way toward the front door again. The 3 of us stand there awkwardly before he speaks up "Comin'?" He asks me with a nod towards the door.

"Yea, I'll be right there" I say to him. He catches on to what I was trying to say and leaves the house with a scowl. Spencer is still next to the couch and I take the few steps over to him and give him a hug "thank you!" I say as I squeeze him just a little.

His arms wrap around me in return "didn't really do much, took forever to get you out of those things." He says back.

I release him and look up to his eyes "no, thank you for saving my life." I remind him. He was the one to shoot the man who was about to stab me. He was the one in town during the attack.

"Oh. Right.." He scratches his head humbly "anytime" he finally says back. I give him another smile before leaving the house.

__

What is going on with Spencer/Shannon and what does Daryl feel about it? Keep reading to find out more! :)

Q: What were your thoughts on Lori?

A: I never really liked nor disliked her. I think she had an important role in the first 2 seasons but I understand why people didn't really like her.