Chapter 3: Found

I look down at my watch and see that it's 4 in the afternoon. I've been stuck in this tree for a little over three hours. The sun is blazing on my skin and I try to cover up with some leaves to protect it from burning further then it already has. I don't know what to do next and know that I'm stuck. I begin to try and think of ways to cause a diversion, to direct their attention else where long enough to get down and away. Everything I need, or could of used, is in the bag I threw away from me. I sigh. I grip the handle of my gun tightly, knowing what it will come down to if they don't move on in a few days. I'm happy there's a few bullets inside, at least I can take out a few of the dead before taking myself out.

"Guys, I found something!" A male voice rings out. I look down and see someone gripping my bag just feet away from where I am hiding.

"Medicine!" He shouts backwards "with some food!" He adds on with excitement in his voice. "Whoever was here must have dropped it!" He says more to himself then whoever he was shouting to before. "Maybe recently?" He shouts, as if thinking out loud.

"Shhh!" I holler back to him. I look back down at the biters and some of them are moving to the voice of the man hollering in the woods. Although I should be relieved, I'm not. I look back to where the man was and he's pointing a gun at me. "You need to run!" I holler down to him with a warning. Even though he's trying to steel my shit, I can't let him die because of it. I'm still human inside. The walkers are feet away from him and will chew him to pieces if he doesn't get a head start. I know this may be the distraction I need to get away, but I don't want it to cost another person's life. I've been around that too much in this new dark world.

He looks down with a glance and sees the biters coming at him through the bushel of trees. He shoots the closest ones with head shots. However, he doesn't move back to get away. He lets out a whistling sound. "Go!" I holler out again! "there's too many!" I add trying to urge him to move. Suddenly, gun shots echo through the woods. The sounds of multiple guns rings through my ears and I look down to the biters below. They are falling two or three at a time. I look around and can see two others shooting from a distance. A woman, and another male, not including the one still holding my bag. Another few minutes pass and the bullets come fewer and farther in between. As the tree is clear from the dead, I take the opportunity to climb down slowly. Being careful of my ankle. I limp over to the man and he now has his gun pointed on me as whomever else is out there takes out the few lingering behind us both.

"Thank you" I reach out my hand trying to ignore the gun and show him I'm no threat.

"Weapon down!" He shouts to me.

"What?" I asked startled, confused at his demand. I tried to warn him of the danger, I was helpful, and he's treating me like a criminal.

"Weapons down!" He repeats louder this time. I look around and see the other shooters also aiming weapons to me now that the dead are officially dead with bullet holes in their dome. I slowly reach for my knife and put it on the ground in front of me. I do the same with my gun. "6 steps back" he says still holding the gun up. I do as he says, familiar with how people like this work. After stepping back he puts his weapon down and picks up mine, placing it into his waistband.

I eye him curiously, but I'm suddenly being patted down by the woman I noticed before. After a few moments she speaks out "clear" and the other man puts his weapon down.

"Didn't think I could feel more vulnerable than being trapped in a tree with biters surrounding me" I shrug trying to lighten the mood, as well as get a feel for who they are. They stare at me emotionless in response.

"Are you with anyone?" The red headed man asks coming through tree's from where he was posted during the shoot out. I shake my head no to respond.

"How long you been up there?" The woman asks in a thick country accent.

"A couple hours. I raided the pharmacy and things didn't go so well after that" I look down to my foot.

"You're on your own?" The one with my backpack says.

"I am now" I admit openly.

"What happened?" The female asks.

"My camp was attacked. I'm the only one who made it out" I confess looking down at the biter by my feet. It has an arrow threw its eye ball. I tilt my head unaware any of them had a bow on them and just stare into the hole it made.

"When?" The Asian fellow asks me with curiosity in his eyes, and my attention is pulled back to them.

I shrug not wanting to talk about it with strangers "recently" is all I say to his question. They must sense the severity of the situation and don't push any further, which I'm thankful for. My watch beeps and I quickly turn it off with a push. It's 5 o'clock now and the hot sun, still blaring, begins to set.

----

I hope you are enjoying the story!

Q: Did you start watching TWD when it originally aired?

A: I binged watched 2 seasons before the third started!