Chapter 12: Getting Back

"Huge flock of walkers. Gotta move!" his whisper is calm but his eyes show a hint of panic. We nod and start running forward low to the ground. I keep my eyes trained in front of me, eyes on the ground watching every step. Tara looks behind us and her eyes open wide. She trips over something and stumbles. I try to slow down but I can't stop my feet fast enough and I slam into her. We fall to the ground, our bags and weapons sliding against the asphalt.

"FUCK!" She shouts out. The same thought is going through my head but I keep it to myself, still aware of the situation we are in.

Daryl grabs me by the arm and lifts me up with no effort. He does the same to her afterwards and shoves our bags at us. He turns back around and starts to run again. We follow suit. We run in and out of the trees, killing random biters in front of us quickly to keep our gain. "We have to get off this road" I say to them as the trees thin out.

"There are hundreds" Tara responds to me in a huff.

"We're almost there" Daryl growls angrily without turning to us. We shrug at one another and keep forward. My sides start to hurt again but I know I'll just run through it like I did a little while ago. I make a mental note to start running again if we make it back inside those walls.

Daryl starts to slow down as we reach an area that is heavily trafficked with abandoned cars. He turns a corner and we follow him. A few steps more and things start to look familiar. We reach the truck we slept in the other night and climb up and slide under the cracked door. I slide it shut quickly and it creaks as it reaches its settling point. Two flashlights shine and we catch our breath for a few moments, "hundreds?" I finally ask when my chest is starting to become consistent. Daryl nods his head confirming. Tara starts to shake her head her eyes wide with something in them, "what is it?" I ask her

"Their eyes, they don't have any" she tells me. Daryl nods again when she says that.

"No eyes?!" I ask my own widening, "like they were removed?" I add on.

She nods slowly "ya, I think so" her breath calming down now as well.

I stand up quickly "we have to get out of here! We're not safe!" I put the bag back around my shoulders. Tara and Daryl start to talk but I don't hear the actual words

An arm comes over my shoulder and I turn to meet Daryl's eyes, "calm down" he says before letting go of me.

"You don't understand. The people who did that to the biters are bad people. We can't be anywhere near where they are!" I try to keep my voice down, but having a hard time doing so.

"What do you mean?" Tara asks me.

My eyes widen with frustration, "I can't explain, we just need to keep moving!"

"We don't even know where they were coming from. They could have been wandering for a long time. We'll stay here until it's clear to go." Daryl explains taking hold of the bag on my shoulder trying to remove it, insisting we stay put.

I hold on to it tighter and we are at a stand still, "we're not safe" I grumble under my breath.

"We will be. They have no eyes. They didn't see anything. We will stay quiet and move when it's clear." His eyes don't avert from mine and his grip doesn't loosen.

I sigh out after a few moments and let the bag fall off my shoulder. I turn away from them and sit quietly in the corner of the truck. It's not long after that we start to hear the grumbling noises from the biters outside. As they pass by they ram into the truck. It shakes. Sometimes with more force when more then one run into it. We all keep our bags of weapons right to our chests, knowing the slightest sound will grab their attention and we'll die of suffocation.