Chapter 5: A Long Walk

I drive slowly over the dirt road, barely keeping us up right. I can tell the man holding on to my waist is annoyed and tense by the way the knife is resting against my ribs. He is trying to keep it steady but  I feel it prick my skin through my clothes a few times.

"Look, I'm sorry, I'm new to driving on 2 wheels." I holler back to him. He grunts and curses at my words and I keep my focus on the road. I need to come up with a plan, a way to get away from him and the people they are taking me to. I don't know who they are or what they want from me. I can't risk that, I've come too far to be taken again, to have everything taken from me one more time. I try to think of things but my mind keeps coming back to the harsh reality. I have no weapon, and my ankle is injured. How far do I really think I can get before I get attacked by him or the dead? All my instincts are fighting the way I'm feeling but deep down I know it's the truth. I try and keep old memories from flooding, but as the light softens and it gets darker, they find their way creeping back in.

We finally reach the pavement and I slow down before we reach it, waiting for him to give me a direction. "Go right" He says, so I do. It gets a little bit easier to ride on solid road. I drive for another 10 minutes before remembering that I'm low on gas.

"Shit" I stammer when I notice the gas gauge inching closer and closer to E.

"Shit wha'?" The man yells angrily over the sounds of the bike.

"Gas. I'm low on gas.." I holler back to him. He grunts even louder and gestures for me to pull over. When I do he jumps off the bike and starts to yell at me.

"What the fuck? We had extra gas in the truck, we coulda brought it along!" He kicks dirt up from the side of the road.

Although I have no way of defending myself against him if I have to, I can't stand him yelling at me, I don't care who they think they are, I'm a fucking human being. "I was being held captive, remember?" I snarl with sass, "my mind was a bit pre-occupied trying to figure a way out if this mess!"

"A way out?" He laughs, "and where would someone like you go? Our place is the safest place for ya, you should be thanking us" He mocks turning his back away from.

I swing my leg off the bike quickly and and tap him on the shoulder, he turns back around and I get in his face, "someone like me? What the fuck does that mean? Because I'm a girl I'm easily taken down or disposable. For your information, pig.." I stress the insult, "I was on my own for months before I joined my camp. I did just fine on my own! I don't need an arrogant asshole like you to protect me!"

He steps back with rage filled eyes, "I meant because of yer ankle, princess!" He nods down at my foot with a dirty look.

"Right, of course beca--" I start to fight back but he interrupts me.

"Shut up" He says.

"I beg your--" I respond with a bad taste in my mouth.

"SHHH!" He demands putting his hand over my mouth. My eyes grow wide with disdain but quickly fade when I hear what he was listening for. We turn ourselves in the direction we came from and see biters emerging from the woods. "Quick, get on!" He lets go of my mouth before racing past me and on to the bike. He kicks the stand up and turns it on swiftly, the engine roaring to life. Without further thinking, I grab a hold of his waist and he speeds forward, putting as much distance between us and them as fast as he can. I hold on tightly as he zooms down the road, easily forgetting the danger I'm still in. We drive for about 15 minutes before the bike runs out of gas completely. We hop off and he steers it into the woods. He starts to cover it up with leaves and branches, as I did earlier, taking care of it. "We're walking from here" He says after we finish covering it up.