Chapter 11: Losing a Friend...

Light flooded my eyes as I slowly opened them. I groaned as I slowly sat up.

"Where am I? What happened?" I looked and saw Stamps sitting at the foot of the couch I was laying on. "Stamps?"

He looked up and gave me a sad look. His ears were flattened against his head.

"Stamps, why did I pass out? What happened?" I asked, getting worried.

"Ash...i-it's...Squid was killed."

My eyes widened. Then I remembered. Opening Squid's door, seeing his body laying on his bed, a golden sword straight threw his chest and pink blood everywhere. Even so, I refused to believe it.

"No, he can't be gone...Stamps please this isn't funny." I pleaded.

"Ash, would I ever kid about this?"

"No, no you wouldn't..." I took a deep breathe. I got up and me and Stamps hugged, and cried. We had just lost our best friend. And it's my fault.

If I had just stayed awake until three like I was supposed to, then whoever took the sword couldn't have gotten it. Squid would still be alive. 

After what felt like hours but was actually just like five minutes, we pulled away.

"Where are the others?" I asked, wiping my nose with the sleeve of my hoodie.

"Investigating. They thought it would be best of we both stayed away from the scene."

"I'm going."

"I don't think that's a good ide-"

"Someone murdered one of my best friends. I am going to find who did it." I got off the couch and walked down the hall, to Squid's room.

The scene was no better the second time. Though, I noticed my first glance had proved wrong, as my mind must have added some things to my horror. There was actually very little blood, strange if he was killed with a sword.

"What are you doing here, Ash?" Jordan asked as I entered.

"I want to help find who killed my friend."

"Are you sure that a good i-" Pat looked up from examining closer to the bed.

"I need to do this." I took a deep breathe. Everyone just nodded and let me get closer.

I almost broke down crying again as I neared my once happy go lucky best friend. I told myself to stay strong though. I started examining the scene.

I was surprised at exactly how little blood there was. It was there, but with the size of the wound I would have thought it would be pooling around him, but it was barely staining the sheets. His face was also peaceful, as though he had passed in his sleep, another thing odd for if he had been stabbed. From what I know it takes time to die of blood loss, even if you manage to hit the right place. He would've woken up, surely?

Confused, I looked around some more and spotted a bit of black cloth attached to handle of the sword, as thought the person had accidentally gotten tangled in the handle and lost some of the material from their clothing. I hesitantly grabbed it and pocketed it for use at the trial.

"ATTENTION! INVESTIGATION TIME IS OVER, SO HEAD TO THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE!" EM's voice once again came from no where and everywhere at once. 

I sighed and took one last glance at my friend, knowing that this would be the last I ever saw of the slippery SquidNugget.

A/N Fudging killed my own feels.