Chapter 10: Tanko..

It's the day after. There's people rebuilding houses. Kanade and Minato are still asleep. Naruto left early this morning leaving me a simple note. He said he'd be back around this time though. I hear a knock on the door.

I skip quickly over and open it, smiling. Naruto smiles back. "I've brought someone, who wants to see you."

My head cocks slightly as Naruto moves inside, unveiling a tall person behind him. I jolt a few steps back. "No...."

A tall boy, with unnaturally green, spiky hair, stands there smiling at me. "Did you miss me?"

"T-Tanko..." Tears fill my eyes as I put my hand on my heart. My old teammate, Tanko Miyakashi.. The last I saw him, he was almost dead, he didn't even expect himself to live. I can recall it so clearly...

***Flashback***

I raced over near Tanko, traumatized by what I had already seen. My jaw dropped and my heart sank into my stomach acid.

A gored and bloodied hole went straight through his back. There was blood along the sides of his chin.

Tanko noticed me quickly. "Sanako! Get out of here!"

He threw his father's katana and the strap that goes around the shoulder at me. No..

I throw it around my shoulder, starting to cry. "Tanko! Kenshi is already..." I choke on the words. "I can't leave you too!"

He bit his lip. "It's too late for me! Go, Sanako!" He squeezed his eyes shut as I could see tears stream down his cheeks. "I love you.."

I start to sob as I race up and put my hands on his chest. "I'm so sorry, Tanko..."

And I left him. I returned to the Grass Village. Not even looking Tanko's or Kenshi's parents in the eye.

*** End of Flashback***

"Tanko..."

He looks surprised and concerned as to why I'm crying. I remember.. His confession. My regret.. I thought he had died...

Tears spill hopelessly down my cheeks as I grit my teeth. "Tanko!"

I jump forward and wrap my arms around him, sobbing like crazy. I grip his shirt, almost as if I was afraid he was going to leave again. He held me in his arms for a long time. "It's nice to see you too, Sanako."

When I regain my composure, I recognize a small figure tucked closely to Tanko's side. I let go of him and take two steps back, where Naruto rests a hand on my shoulder. "Hinata-Chan?"

She slowly steps to Tanko's side where he looks at her the way he used to look at me. Tanko gives me a smile and I smile back at him. "Hi, Sanako-Chan." She says softly, giving me a sweet, gentle smile. 

Tanko looks down at her and grabs her hand. "How did you two meet?" I ask curiously.

"Long story short, she saved me..."

I take a couple steps forward and place a gentle hand on Hinata's head. "Take care of him okay? "

"I will."

I hear stirring cries and remember Kanade and Minato. Tanko looks excited, he's always been a sucker for babies. "Would you like to see them?"

He nods and Naruto and I go into their room. We return with Minato in my arms and Kanade in Naruto's. An overjoyed smile creeps onto Tanko's face. "C-Can I hold one?"

I gently pass him Minato who looks up at Tanko contently. Minato reaches a small hand and pats Tanko's cheek. Those purple eyes shine so beautifully. Naruto hands Kanade to Hinata before he asks them, "Will you guys be the godparents?" This catches Tanko and Hinata's attention. "If anything happens to Sanako or me, will you guys be the ones to take care of them?"

"Gladly." Tanko says happily.

Naruto and Tanko engage in conversation as I excuse myself to change out of my combatual clothing. I put on a lavender long-sleeved sweater and put on Naruto's mother's old, dark purple apron-like dress.  It fits so much easier now that I'm not bearing children. I smirk slightly before exiting and returning to the living room, only to see Sasuke and Sakura arriving. Sakura squeals and rushes over to hug me. I hug her back and point to the babies and she races to see them.

Naruto and the others sit around talking while I scoot over to Sasuke and smile. He puts his arm around me, not wanting to let me see him smile. I finally say. "Oh and I'm keeping the armwarmer."

He looks puzzled. "That's fine, but why?"

I pull the edge of it down to reveal the scarring from the burn I suffered from when my hospital room exploded. I quickly conceal it and pull Sasuke into the fray of happiness, joy and love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! I'm gonna make a spin-off story as soon as this is all over. The spin-off is basically to help people better understand Sanako's past and how she grew up once she was sent to the Grass VIllage. One chapter left.  Thanks for reading! Love you all!

~~Scar:3