Mistletoe [Nick's POV]

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner! So, credit to Beikal who thought of this idea before I did!

~*~

'Come on, Nick,' I thought to myself as Judy and I strolled paw in paw down the street.

We passed by different shops and cafés that all had mistletoe dangling from their signs and I couldn't even build up the courage to kiss Judy underneath one.

'Why are you so nervous?' I asked myself in my head as my paw began to grow clammy in Judy's. 'You've been dating for nearly a year, and you've kissed her plenty of times before!'

Even though that was true, the publicity of our relationship wasn't something I wanted to share with many animals, as others would judge interspecies couples. Honestly, just holding her paw in public was proving to be a struggle for me! I had no trouble showing Judy compassion when we were at home, but I didn't want anyone thinking less of us because we're an interspecies couple. And even though Judy was understanding and didn't try to rush me into doing these things, I still felt the pressure. I loved Judy and didn't want to disappoint her.

"You ok, Nick?" Judy asked, giving my paw a quick squeeze as she looked up at me.

Setting my eyes back down on her, I ignored the dirty glances along the way and focused on Judy's beautiful eyes. Her smile practically lit up all the street lights along the street and I felt a little less anxious knowing that she was so happy.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lied, faking a smile.

As much as I wanted to tell Judy that I was too nervous to kiss her, I didn't want her to worry. I liked the happy Judy, not the Judy that was worried about me. But, as my urges to kiss her kept coming back, I found myself even more vulnerable to staring at her pink lips. Although Judy didn't notice, I knew that the other animals around us did, but even that didn't put me off.

My heart began pounding inside of my chest as we passed under yet another mistletoe, Judy paying no mind to it and instead taking in all the Christmas Eve scenary. The cold night air bit at the part of my neck that wasn't covered by my scarf, and I untangled my paw from Judy's to pull it up.

"Nick, are you sure you're ok? You seem...nervous," Judy asked in concern, raising an eyebrow at me.

I was about to answer when I stopped, directly underneath another - and the last - mistletoe on the street. I sighed, giving in to temptation as I looked down at the ground.

"No, Judy, I'm not ok," I answered, and her brows creased in even more worry.

"Why? Nick, what's wrong?" She asked, walking over to me and resting a paw on my arm.

I sighed again, making sure my head was clear before actually going through with this.

"I want to kiss you," I blurted out, and Judy scanned my face in confusion.

"What?" She asked, wrinkling her nose on confusion.

"I want to kiss you, Judy, underneath this mistletoe, but my anxiety is being a bitch and-" I began but was cut off when Judy threw her arms around my neck and kissed my lips passionately.

Startled, I took a second to process what was going on before melting into the kiss, wrapping my arms around Judy's tiny waist as my lips danced around hers. Suddenly, all the fear and anxiety was swept away. Just from that one kiss. It told me that Judy didn't give a damn about what people thought of us, and if she didn't care, then neither should I. After all, interspecies relationships weren't illegal...

~*~

Two Christmas one-shots and it took me 66 chapters to do this. 😂