49.

Zayn

For the most part, I was expecting Jane to react this way.

I hadn't hired her for nothing.

"Great. There goes my car." Alissa mumbles. "I knew I should have just called a taxi here."

"I'll talk to her another time."

"She won't talk to you. Ever. You killed her husband." Alissa says coldly.

I ignore the tone of her voice and sigh quietly before grabbing her hand and leading her towards my car.

"You need to get warm. You're hands are freezing. And your skin is pale." I say annoyed.

"Don't change the subject." Alissa says, frowning.

"This doesn't involve you, Alissa. And because this was your bright idea, now it does." I open the car door for her and she folds her arms at me as I gesture inside.

"Get in." I frown.

"Why did you do it?" She murmurs.

I hold her gaze as a handful of emotions flick on her face before her eyes scan my own face.

Great. This again.

"Get in the car Alissa." I say quietly, softly before looking away.

Alissa tilts her head at me as if it'll get a better view of my face. "Zayn-"

I sigh annoyed before walking to the drivers seat.

Getting in the car, I turn the key in the ignition as Alissa finally gets in the car. I turn the heaters up and Alissa gazes at me.

"Do you regret it at all?"

I frown annoyed. "Alissa-"

"It's a yes or no question, Zayn."

"Why are you bringing this up?" I frown as I gaze at her.

Alissa shrugs.

"Every time we talk about these things, we always end up in an argument."

She shakes her head before gazing out to the open road and then looking back at me.

"I just want to know how your mind works. Rodney was a friend. A husband." Alissa states.

I shake my head annoyed.

"Why ask me, when you already know the answer?" I question her quietly. "You've tasted the blood lust before. I seen it in your eyes the same night I walked into your apartment and saw with my own two eyes, a knife been thrown across the room and straight into a guys fucking head. Where was the regret?"

"At least I had the decency to bury them all!" Alissa scowls. "You didn't even bury him Zayn!"

"Well I can't do anything about it now?!" I shrug. "Is there anything else you want to mention? Darnell?!" I raise my eyebrow at her.

Silence falls thick and heavy between us before she sighs.

"I'm sorry." She shakes her head. "I was with her for too long." Alissa murmurs.

I pierce my lips together before swallowing down my pride and putting the car into drive.

Alissa sighs quietly before reaching over and placing her hand on my thigh before squeezing.

Usually it would distract my running thoughts, but it doesn't. I'm worried about what would happen between the outcasts and me and I'm worried about what will happen with the slave circle.