3.2

"Shit!"

Water poured onto Stevie's lap, she jumped out of the booth and the water continued pouring where she was sitting. Luke had spilt his water across the whole entire table.

The waiter rushed over with paper towels and began to clean up the mess.

"Sorry about that." Luke said to the waiter.

The waiter nodded back at him and continued to clean.

Stevie could tell that Luke was hesitant with replying. He was just about to speak when he accidentally hit the glass of water. She had decided to give Ashton a chance and go on a date with him. She didn't think she liked him but didn't think it would be anything serious anyway. Stevie wanted to enjoy the rest of the festival and she always had a good time with Ashton. The likelihood of them talking after the festival was slim to none but that didn't matter. She wanted to live life in the moment - something Jack would always tell her to do.

She missed him, now more than ever. Something was going on between her and Riley and she wasn't sure what. Jack was always there for her. Always. It wasn't that Riley wasn't but whenever they got into a fight it was nice to have somebody.

"Stevie?"

She snapped out of her thoughts. She hadn't realized she was just staring into space. Stevie looked and Luke who had a smile on his face.

"What?" She scrunched her face trying not to smile and looked down.

Luke chuckled and grabbed her glass and water and took a sip.

"Hey!" Stevie exclaimed trying to grab it back, but it was too late - Luke had downed the rest of it.

"You're blushing." Luke said and he placed the empty glass back on the table.

"I just have naturally pigmented cheeks." Stevie tried to retaliate, she knew she was most likely blushing. But didn't want Luke to be able to tease her.

"I call bullshit." Luke stated and Stevie stuck her tongue out at him.

"Anyways, you haven't answered my question." Stevie reminded him. She thought they were in a good place now and it was OK to bring it back up.

Luke sighed and looked down at the table and then back up at Stevie. He opened his mouth the slightest amount before closing it again. He pursued his lips and lines on his forehead appeared as a frown began to ensue.

Stevie looked at him, studying every motion. He seemed to be taking this question really seriously. A lot more serious than she was even. She didn't need Luke's approval to go on a date with Ashton but she would like it. She thought it would make things easier between them.

"What was the question again?" Luke looked at her innocently.

This only annoyed Stevie, she knew that he remembered exactly what the question was. She tried doing the right thing and if he was going to act immature about the whole situation she definitely was not going to pass anything by him again.

"Luke." She replied to him sternly.

Luke glanced up at Stevie. "You don't need my permission to do anything." He coldly responded.

"I know." Stevie replied back without hesitation. "You guys are friends though, I just wanted to make sure you were O.K. with it."

"Of course, why wouldn't I be?" He replied to her. It wasn't cold anymore. It wasn't anything. Stevie couldn't feel any emotion in the way Luke replied, which was a shock because he seemed like such an emotional person.

She ignored his question and just replied with a thank you.

"Well I gu-" Luke began.

At the same time Stevie started to speak. "Do you want to-"

They both let out a small pitiful chuckle. It was a forced and common response but it seemed like the right way to respond.

"Go ahead." Luke smiled at her.

"Do you want to check out some bands?" Stevie asked him, with some hesitation. She wasn't sure what Luke was going to say before she asked this and it didn't seem like he wanted to hang out more. But she thought it was worth a shot. She wouldn't feel bad about whatever happened after because she tried to be the bigger person and be civil with Luke. Even when he wasn't.

"Sure." He replied.

-

"I've never really been into rap music but I do like this." Stevie told Luke.

She hadn't chose who they would see and gave Luke that honour. As soon as she picked a rapper she instantly regretted it. She didn't have anything against rap - it just wasn't her style of music. However after listening to this artist she decided when she got back home she would give it another chance.

"I told you that you would like Chance." Luke laughed at her.

"His name is stupid though! Chance the Rapper - if you listened to his music you would know that he's a rapper." Stevie retorted. Just then a man who was at least 6"5 stood came out of no where and squeezed his way in front of her and Luke.

"Hey mate-" Luke began.

"Luke don't." Stevie said placing a hand on his chest and squeezing in between him and the very tall guy in front of them. She looked up at him and his eyes were locked on hers. They flickered down to her lips for a millisecond. Luke backed up very quickly away from Stevie.

Did that just happen? The tension was undeniable but also unexpected. Did Luke feel it too? What was she thinking. She just agreed to go on a date with his best friend. This was not going to happen - her and Luke. They were friends, if that even. Maybe if they didn't get into a fight every few hours they could actually be good friends.

"Here. Get on my shoulders." Luke interrupted her thoughts.

"Uh what?" Stevie asked as Luke bent down and patted his back.

"Come on. You'll actually be able to see your new favourite rapper." Luke told her and grinned widely.

"You're crazy. I'm not getting on your shoulders." Stevie told him laughing.

"Trust me." Luke said standing up and facing her. He moved closer to her - too close.

"Should I?" Stevie replied to him.

And in that moment he took her hand and cupped his around hers. She felt her heart start to race. She wanted to trust him and get to know him, badly. But she was scared of him at the same time. He was so emotional and acted upon it. That scared Stevie. She was so emotionally and me tally unstable for a long time that she needed constant stability in order for her to maintain it. She broke away from her thoughts and looked back up at Luke. Stevie wasn't sure if she'd been too into her thoughts that she had missed his response. But he answered that question for her a few seconds later.

"That's up to you." He said.

Not exactly the answer Stevie was looking for. But he was right. It was up to her.

"O.K. Get down. You're too tall." She told him.

"Wow." Luke said as he bent down. Stevie climbed on his shoulders and he stood up.

"You're right this is a better view!" She screamed down at him.

Luke merely looked up and smiled at her. A smile that Stevie knew could break a lot of hearts.