A Detrimental Mistake (5)

Imagine one day you're at home, comfortably lying in the arms of the one you love, surrounded by bliss and suddenly the sky rips open with a loud reverberating echo. Then you, in panic, run out of your home and get encamped by a swarm of people all wondering what that sound was. Then you lift your head up to the skies and see something, unlike anything you've ever encountered in your life. Vacillating between fear and awe you just stand there; entrapped by the rain of colours from the heavens, unaware of what was actually happening. But it's not just raining down on you and those in your immediate sphere, imagine the whole world being showered by this fear-inducing and transcendent moment in time.

As the particles of coloured lights rain down from heaven, they each encamp and entrap you in their godly presence. As the light encircles you and rests on your body, you feel a slight tingle that quickly turns into sidesplitting pain. As you wail from the depth of your soul, the light gets brighter and the gut-wrenching pain gets worse. You wail, wail and wail until the wail becomes a powerful monstrous roar. As the light fades, so does the pain, and with one good look at your skin, you realize that you now have fur. The love of your life is sporting fangs and pale scaly skin and everyone around has now become various creatures of folklore and fiction. What would you do and how would you feel? That is what happened on earth many centuries ago before the flood that would eventually wipe them from the face of the earth. What happened exactly you ask?

Many millennia ago, Zeus and his siblings waged war against the Titans (their parents), subsequently defeated them and sealed them away in an unknown location. Prior to this battle, Zeus had promised Hades a seat at the throne of Olympus... a promise he never intended to keep. Post victory, Zeus gave all his siblings adequate posts but gave Tartarus to Hades. Hades, bewildered by his brother's treachery, questioned him. His response "Simply, because I could." Hades, his godly underlings and angelic followers were immediately banished from Olympus. Hades, in anger, swore his vengeance on Zeus and all who follow him.

Sometime after, Hades returned to Olympus with his army of followers and without hesitation unleashed the full force of his anger. The war was seemingly unending with an ever-increasing death toll. It took millennia to stop and banish Hades from Olympus. Each God, one by one, fought to stop Hades; whilst Hecate, the goddess of witchcraft, worked tirelessly to develop something to end the war once and for all.

From the start of the war, unbeknownst to all, a minuscule rift had appeared in Olympus that would soon become the undoing of the Gods. Quod Lux, he that created the Titans, in all his omniscience, decided that the veil that separated Olympus and Earth should be strengthened, so that the Gods would never interfere in the lives of the humans. Somehow, that veil was broken and henceforth came the rift. A rift that siphoned the remnants of magic from the warring parties in Olympus and funnelled it into the atmosphere of the world below. The magic infected the food and water supply of various parts of the world. As the hole grew larger, so did the amount of magic it siphoned and outpoured. By the time the Gods had discovered this rift in the veil, it was too late. The earth was already infected with magic that quickly turned many of its inhabitants, creatures and other living things into beasts.

The stronger the exertion of magic, the more the hole siphoned and the more did it outpour on the earth. The earlier inhabitants of the earth were infected by breathing in the polluted air, drinking the water and consuming the food. Many of them died either upon contact or later on but the 'lucky' ones were forcibly changed into heinous creatures. Whilst the first recorded incident of this outbreak of magic is said to be in the Middle East, two decades prior to the great flood, that was not the truth. three-decades prior there was an island somewhere in the pacific inhabited by over six hundred thousand persons. Michael, my idiot brother and angel of war, was sent to investigate the authenticity of reports of the strange occurrences and influxes of magic. Upon arrival, Michael discovered that all the reports were as true as true could be. He was dispatched during the course of the war, which put Olympus at a great disadvantage, but the Gods were willing to do anything to clean up their mess.