Chapter Twenty-five - The Big Day: Part Three

Luciano and you had made it to the ballroom with five minutes to spare before the wedding goers would file in. He pulled you into a kiss by your waist and held you there for a few moments. He rested his forehead against your own and waited for you to catch your breath. You gave him a playful shove before grabbing his hand.

The two of you did a quick once over of the room to make sure everything was in place. The flower arrangements were perfectly centered at circular table, each set with silverware and fine China for twelve people. The largest of the tables was set at the center back of the long rectangular room. It was meant for you, Luciano, and your closest friends and family members. Seventeen people in total would be sitting at the table, which seemed like a lot compared to the ten that would be seated at the many other smaller tables. The few tables closest to yours were meant for the more noble members of the vampire community, high ranking military officials, and the immediate family of the close friends of larger table, many of which you had yet to meet.

You had somehow spaced off while staring at a vase of flowers and were startled when you felt a tap on your shoulder. You turned around to find it was only Luciano, who was looking mighty concerned.

"Is something wrong mia cara?" he asked.

"No, nothing's wrong. I was just thinking is all."

"What were you thinking about?" He pulled you flush against him and kept a firm hold of your waist.

"It's nothing," you said quickly before adverting your gaze and blushing.

"It's obviously something if it can evoke such a bright blush out of you bella. I'd appreciate if you'd not lie to me," he replied, his thumb and index finger caressing your chin as he made you look up at him. "You can tell me anything amore mio. Your problems and troubles aren't just yours. They're mine as well. Now, tell me what's bothering you?" His eyes glowed for a split second, yours mimicking his for the same amount of time.

"I just... Tonight... Are we going to... you know...?"

Luciano gave a sigh and relinquished his influence on you, this time not bothering to wipe your memory of what you said to him this time. "As much as I'd hate to make you uncomfortable in any way and force you to "do the do" so to speak, it is sadly a tradition in my family to have intercourse with your life partner the night you are wed. I believe the way my grandfather phrased it was "to give the other a preview of what is waiting for them for the rest of their partnership with one another"."

"That doesn't sound so bad. It phrased it nicely."

"(Y/n), I gave you what he originally said, the PG version. When I got to the age of maturity for vampires, his whole spiel was rephrased in a more vulgar and blunt manner. That was the moment my innocence left me."

"Oh... Um... Well then..."

"Look (y/n). Like I said, I don't want to force you into it and make you uncomfortable."

"No, it's fine. I'll respect your family's traditions."

"Mia dea, you really don't have to."

"I know... Could we possibly discuss this later?"

"Sì, certo. The guests should be arriving soon anyway. We should head to the doors to greet them as they enter, like we planned."

You nodded in understanding and walked to the large oak wood doors with Luciano, opening one each and then standing a few meters away from the doors, centered with the large vase of various wild flowers position on a small table against the wall across the hallway. Luciano wrapped an arm around your waist as the two of you heard the wedding's attendees merrily making their way down the hallway. The first group of people to enter the ballroom were military officials from Luciano's army, Viktor being among them as a general. How curious. A man who was so interested in flowers and owned an over sized greenhouse was a military general. A high ranking one nonetheless. You decided not to verbally question it and kept your thoughts to yourself as you greeted them with grace and poise. They walked away from the two of you to find their table and to allow more people to flood in.