CHAPTER 27: THE SAVIOUR OF THE WORLD FAINTS

It was the click of the lock being opened that got Ron's attention.

After ten minutes of hoarse screaming and shouting into the darkness, Blaise had given up and sat back down on the floor, his head in his hands in hopelessness.

"I'm far too young to die in a dungeon!" he called out distraughtly, before he'd thrown himself onto the floor like a dramatic actress after her love had been killed.

A few seconds later, Ron and Pansy joined him on the floor, leaving enough gap between themselves and the Italian man, so that he wouldn't sob at them or something.

Ron and Pansy and Blaise were each feeling certain levels of hopelessness. There really wasn't any point in screaming for help; after all, it was the holidays, and who was bound to come down here anyway?

They'd sat there forever, not talking, just contemplating a future, but not being able to think up one. By the time the winter holidays finished and people came back to school, they would have starved to death, especially since the food had stopped coming since three days ago, according to Ron.

Pansy sighed at that information, of course the Weasel idiot would know that. He ate more food that she'd thought was humanly possible and still managed to remain tall and gangly. If he'd been a girl, she would have hated him immensely, but it was kind of hard to hate someone after spending so much time alone.

And she'd sort of gotten to know the Weasel boy a bit, and as much as she hated to admit it, he wasn't all that bad.

But at that precise moment, her mind was preoccupied by the thought that she never got to clear the air with Draco, after everything that had happened, she'd hoped and prayed for the chance to fix things between them, but now it looked like she was going to die in a dark, gloomy dungeon with Blaise and Weasely instead.

It wasn't how she'd imagined she'd die.

Ron's thoughts were flittering from Hermione to Harry to Ginny and his family. The fact that he was going to starve to death was something that he never thought would happen to him, and now that he was, he was haunted by the fact that he wouldn't even have the chance to make up with any of them, apologize for his mistakes or make it known how much he cared for all of them.

Blaise remained crumpled on the floor, wondering how Astoria was going to react when he never returned home. He'd hoped that she would alert someone and get a search party underway, but it wasn't uncommon for him to stay away for the nights once in a while, and she'd thought, like him, that the note had been from Hermione and Draco. She wouldn't call the Aurors or the Ministry if she believed that she would get them all in trouble.

And then he wondered if she would miss him at all. Now that he was facing death in a dungeon with people he didn't really like at all, who were both supposed to be dead, by the way, he was starting to miss her terribly. It seemed ridiculous to him now that he'd been contemplating divorcing her at all. If he ever got out of here, the first thing he wanted to do after sorting this mess out with Draco and Hermione, was to go to Astoria and apologise and try and make things work.

He didn't want the only thing that Astoria was going to remember him for, to be the fact that he was about to divorce her. It was kind of funny, how facing imminent death made you think about things like that.

And then, like Merlin or whatever wizards-gods there were in the world, seemed to hear everyone's prayers and Ron heard the lock to the door in the dungeon, click open like a miracle.