CHAPTER 9: HERMIONE'S DREAMS ARE HAUNTED BY DEAD PEOPLE

Hermione needed a new place to stay.

It was bad enough that her being here was the reason why now she had to attend a party tomorrow, and as much as she was getting used to Draco Malfoy and his weird mood swings and random questions and blatant disregard for wearing clothes over those stupid boxers of his, the Manor still gave her the creeps.

There was no way that she would be able to find somewhere to stay for cheap like last time, her hiding places were running out and she was pretty sure that she was crazy for even being at Malfoy Manor right now, but she was so tired.

The spells today, fighting off those witches and wizards at the Ministry had actually taken a lot out of her. It didn't help that most of those people had been people she once would have considered an ally to the cause of justice and peace. She'd had to hurt innocent people for the sake of her survival and her conscience wasn't taking it well either.

She turned in her bed and sighed heavily, before closing her eyes and drifting off to sleep, her mind in a state of unrest and turmoil.

Hermione was dreaming.

At least, she was sure she was. The last thing she could remember was climbing into her bed at the Manor and now she was standing on a grassy hill, the sunlight and the breeze playing her hair as she looked around in confusion.

She watched as distant shadowy figures appeared in the distance at the foot of the hill, waving to her beckoning her. suddenly, the air turned old and the sun disappeared behind thunder clouds that roared in anger. The grass at her feet died like her very presence had sucked away its life. the shadowy figures began to get closer and Hermione felt herself panic when she couldn't find her wand on her person.

This was a dream, surely nothing bad could happen to her in her dream?

She backed away as the people got closer and she recognised them, her heart beating wildly in her chest at the familiar faces.

"What is going on?" her voice asked, but it sounded hollow and lifeless.

Susan Bones smiled at her gently, holding up his hands non-threateningly. "Relax Hermione, we're not here to harm you."

Hermione began back off slowly, looking at Susan, and Adrian Pucey, both were surrounding her with her. Two dead people in her dreams? Where was Dennis and Dean and Pansy? And Kingsley and the others too?

What was this dream?

Susan smiled at Hermione, there wasn't any anger in her smile, it was full of mirth and warmth, "sorry about taking over your dream, Hermione. But this is the only way to talk to you at all, and we can only speak when you're sleeping." She paused and the others nodded.

"I don't understand, what...why...what?"

"Dean and Kingsley tried to contact you before, but they were tortured heavily before they passed on, their souls can't contact you anymore and we promised that we would try ourselves in their place. The others are all stuck too, but they weren't strong enough to get a connection into you mind. Or something, I don't know the details, okay?" Adrian muttered, crossing his arms.

Hermione didn't relax, not understanding what was happening. "Hermione, please, we're not going to hurt you, we're here because we need you to help us pass along too, and the only way to do that is to catch the one doing this and bring him to justice." Susan smiled at her sweetly.