CHAPTER 8: WHY IT IS DANGEROUS TO GET HERMIONE GRANGER ANGRY

"Well, well! Who do we have here?! If it isn't the elusive Miss Hermione Granger!" the wizard closest to Draco said, smiling at her, but there was no warmth in his smile.

Hermione motioned for Draco to stay away with her hands, as she smiled at the man easily. "Good to see you, Belby. Long-time, no see! How's the wife? Still complaining about your snoring, is she?" She smirked as Belby's eyes narrowed a fraction and his face flushed in embarrassment.

The silence on the first floor of the Ministry was deafening, and the witches and wizards who'd been going about their normal business stopped and crowded around her, drawing their wands, looking fascinated and horrified.

"That's Hermione Granger!" someone whispered loudly. Hermione smiled and nodded widely, "why yes, citizen, yes I am!" The crowd gasped dramatically and the temperature in the room grew cold with the tension.

Draco found himself completely ignored, pushed to the back of the crowd as everyone tried to catch a glimpse of the murderer in the flesh. "Where have you been hiding then, darling? We've found well over fifty safe houses with your magic, how many more do you have?" another wizard asked.

Hermione's smile brightened. "That's a secret, Baddock! I can't just tell you all my hiding spots, that would make this far too easy for you guys when I escape from here in a minute."

Draco wondered briefly if she had gone mad. Barely an hour ago, she'd been about to leave his manor, upset and depressed, and now, she was surrounded and about to be captured and she was challenging them to a duel?

She was good, but good enough to take on around forty people by herself? There was no way he could get involved without making it obvious that he was with her, and if any of them managed to get away, then the Ministry would pay him a visit not so much later.

She probably had a plan.

Of course she had a plan.

She was the goddess of plans.

He hoped she had a plan.

His mind was blank and confused and kind of excited at the idea that he was about to witness Hermione Granger kick ass without breaking a sweat.

"Escape? Don't mess about 'Mione, we've got you surrounded!" a wizard yelled triumphantly.

The three others wizards beside the one that spoke all groaned and glared at him like he'd just done something ridiculously stupid. The man himself, froze as if realising his mistakes.

All four of them seemed to lose the fighting spirit that had been present only a moment ago.

Hermione looked over at the wizard who'd called out and glowered at him, her eyes sparking in anger. "Terry Boot. How many times have I told you not to call me that stupid name? Every single assignment I was placed on with you, you called me 'Mione this and 'Mione that. I told you, I told you so nicely, so many times, no to call me that. And you still do it."

She paused to take a step forward, smiling in victory when Terry Boot, the grown man he was, squealed and stumbled back. "Now look what you've done, Terry, you've made me angry. You know what happens when I get frustrated about silly things like this?"

She slipped out her wand and rolled her shoulders in preparation. Duelling with Draco that night in the alley made her realise she missed fighting with someone. What better situation than now to test out if she'd really gotten rusty or not?