CHAPTER 10: BLAISE ZABINI'S THEORY ABOUT HIS BEST FRIEND'S GIRLFRIEND

When Hermione woke up to find herself snuggled around Draco Malfoy, she'd panicked and as quietly as she could, ran all the way to her room to compose herself.

She could recall, very faintly, the fact that she and he'd been talking into the early hours of the day, and that the fact that he'd been willing to listen at all, made her face flush. When was the last time she'd had a decent conversation with someone?

When had Malfoy become so good at listening? What was it about him that made her feel safe, even now, though she wasn't near him? Her stomach felt like there was a hoard of zoo animals stomping around in there and her heart was being stung a hundred times by bees and wasps and butterflies.

Could butterflies even sting?

Was she sick?

Groaning at the audacity of the situation, she focused her mind on doing something productive. That stupid party was tonight, and she didn't have time to waste on feelings she didn't understand.

Not that she had feelings in the first place, that would be ridiculous.

Draco on the other hand woke up to find Hermione missing, alongside the smell of oranges and cinnamon that he'd begun to associate with her. The blanket was gone too, so she'd probably woken up and gone to refresh herself, he told himself as he stood up and stretched.

But maybe he should go and check up on her anyway, just to make sure nothing had happened?

He began to head for the stairs before hesitating. What was he doing? Hermione Granger was a grown woman, she could take care of herself, and besides, why was he so worried about her?

He ignored the thoughts of this morning that began to rush into his head, not wanting to believe that he was feeling anything akin to a fondness for the witch.

Draco Malfoy...feeling something for someone other than himself? Ludicrous!

He was about to head into the kitchen when something smashed in the West Wing, followed by lots of cursing and swearing and a few death threats being screamed back and forth between definitely more than one person.

Then, something exploded and Draco let out a sigh, realising what was happening as he ran to the West wing of his Manor.

What was with things being broken and smashed in his house? He paused outside the entrance to the hallway that lead into the West Wing, it was open, clearly indicated that the brown haired woman he was harbouring in his house had decided to go exploring.

He headed inside, making a beeline for the drawing room of the West Wing, opening the door to find what he expected.

Hermione was standing in the middle of the huge room, her wand in her hand, the sleeves of her jumper pushed up to her elbows and as she raised her wand above her heard to cast another spell, Draco caught sight of the word scarred on her left arm.

The word 'MUDBLOOD' seared into her flesh; it was faded, but against the pale skin of her arm, it stood out like black ink on white parchment. Her hair was wet and hung down her back, indicating she'd had a shower. She turned around suddenly upon hearing the door open and froze when she spotted him, watching her with an expression she couldn't decipher.

Her breathing was heavy like she'd been running a marathon and Draco noticed that her eyes were red like she'd been crying and her wand dropped out of her hand when he raised an eyebrow, waiting for an explanation.