CHAPTER 1: APPARATING WITH SOMEONE WITHOUT PERMISSION, IS CALLED KIDNAPPING

Hermione shallowed her breathing, so much so that to anyone who saw her, she would have looked like a doll leaning against the brick wall in the dark, and in an alleyway behind a seamstresses' store, no one would even glance at her twice.

Her already pale skin looked paler in the moonlight, almost translucent, as though she had been locked away from the sun most of her life, and her hair by contrast looked black in the darkness.

She peeked through a crack in the wall, a shadow slinked past swiftly, followed soon by one or two others, whispers emitting from between them as they searched.

For her.

Hermione turned away, and sighed quietly to herself, her fingers curling into a fist in anger, digging into the wall behind her in a silent punch of frustration.

Two years.

It had been two years since the wanted posters had become completely official and spread worldwide. Two years since the whole wizarding whole had been after her, since her two best friends had begun to hunt her down, since the last time she'd really talked to anyone.

How was she supposed to live out her life as a young woman of twenty-five if anyone who saw her either ran away or began to attack her?

She should have been out and about with her other single friends, enjoying the many great male specimens out there in the world, yet here she was, hiding behind a brick wall, in high hopes that people passing by would presume that she was an inanimate object.

Well, obviously, the universe had something against her.

Hermione glanced at her watch and ground her teeth in frustration, peeking through the crack in the wall to the street over, where the three Aurors under Ron's command, where searching for her carefully.

She had no idea how Ron of all people had caught her trail so fast, managing to ignore the false leads she'd thrown his way to follow her back to America of all places. If she hadn't been in the situation she was in right now, she would have even commended him for it, but right now, it just made her mad.

Why did he have to suddenly become smart when it was her life in danger? Where were these brains when they'd been trying to find Horcruxes?

It was three in the morning and she'd been hiding behind this bloody wall for well over three hours now, her legs were getting stiff and her lips were turning blue. Her fingers were prickly from the after effects of pins and needles, and the cold seemed to want to eat away at her flesh, but she couldn't move too much.

Even the slightest noise could get her caught and that would be the end of Hermione Granger. She'd receive the Dementor's kiss before she even got a chance to explain anything or get a fair trial. Of all the things to do now, getting caught wasn't on the list.

"No trace of her. Are you sure she isn't really in America right now? This could have been the false lead," a voice whispered. Hermione leaned her ear against the wall and listened keenly, desperate to hear as much about what they knew about her as possible.

"No, Ron's sure she wouldn't leave England yet. Come on, she's definitely not here. We should report back and check up with Harry anyway."

For a second, there was silence and then the sudden "CRACK!" of magic and only the smell of singed smoke remained as the men after her dissaparated away.