THE MALE FIGURE

My big day was approaching and my nerves wouldn't rest . Anxiety took over me as I made sure all will be well . Ummy had always been in the best of mood . Arrangements were done everyday that I got used to it .

(Cell phone ringing)
Ummy hurriedly answered the phone .

"Assalam alaikum , who am I speaking to?" She sweetly questioned .

I guess the person from the other side answered back .

My Ummy's face halted as her face stood out shocked and horrified !

Who might it be I questioned myself .

Curiosity took the better side of me and began nagging my mother .

"Who's phoning , Ummy ?" I asked  continously.

My mother just stood there still shocked , for literally two glorious minutes . I began worrying .

Per harps her past I began thinking .

My thoughts were then shattered as a tear flowed down her cheeks . I quickly grabbed the phone from her hands .

"Who is this? " I angrily asked . "What do you want from my mother? Who are you?" . I couldn't stop questioning .

"Its me , p chipmunk !" The person replied .

I stood , perpendicularly fixed to the ground . Only one person called me chipmunk and it was My father .

"Dad ! Is that you ?" I asked trembling .

I really had no idea if I was happy or devastated .

"Yes chipmunk , its your Abby!" The masculine voice replied .

I stretched my arms to hug him only to realise , he was at the other side .

Fourteen years I never had a glimpse of my father . I only owned one picture which Ummy gave me . Ummy and Abby standing together holding a pram which I was in . That was surely when I was two .

I looked at my mother and her eyes won't stop tearing . It was so emotional for her . She never told me why they separated but if she was crying , then indeed it was heart piercing .

"Dad! When are you gonna see me ? You never asked for me or even wrote to me! Where have you been ?" I one way asked .

All this questions streamlined my mind . All the years that I needed him the most he wasn't there .

I never had the initial father figure to make jokes with , play games , have tours or even kissed me goodnight .

All that I had was my Uncle Shureym , who would teach and support me . I even called him 'Abby' .

"Maryam, I----i love you honey . I heard you were getting married chipmunk ," he chuckled hiding his sobs "I have a gift for you , go outside ," he politely asked .

I grabbed Ummy's hand making  way to the door .

"Where are you going Maryam?" She asked .

"Outside Ummy , come with me please!" I begged her until she came along .

Opening the door , I saw the present of my life ! Both my palms covered my mouth as my eyes widened out . Tears uncontrollably flowed out . My father was standing right before me !

I ran out hugging him tightly . My Ummy just stood afar watching us , as she smiled tears oozing down her soft cheeks . I hugged him tight enough signaling him how much I missed him . Life was handing me surprises . Lots of surprises indeed!

"I wouldn't be able to live in peace knowing that I didn't personally hand you , my  daughter , to her future husband . It was punishment enough to loose your mother but I won't bear losing you too !" He confessed .