PROMISE TO FIX IT

11 YEARS LATER ...

Everyone shouted on top of their voices ,
"5....4....3....2....1...... Happy birthday !"

I was so happy and thrilled . My eighteenth birthday was off the hook .

It was a routine to plan every friend's 18th birthday . Reaching eighteen , meant maturity and total freedom and what other way to celebrate that , other than a popping birthday .

Lorraine had rented a small hall , just enough to fit all my friends from school . My mother was invited , but she would rather stay home and finish her work . She was an author , famously known for her horror genre books . All my friends thought she was cool , and wished for a moment to have a one on one conversation with her , answering their disturbing questions from the novels they read . It was a good choice she never chose to attend my party , because on anyone's birthday it's only fair the attention be on the birthday girl or boy .  

My face was clearly masked with happiness , I could not be any more grateful for the outstanding effort that went into the event planning , it was just what I wanted .

Red and gold was the theme . Every table covered in a gold cloth with red roses on display with some snacks laid out on the table . Disco lights illuminated every corner , especially the dance floor that was swarming with loads of guests . A cocktail corner was set , any drink of choice was available . My cake had not yet arrived but I really wasn't looking forward to it , unless it was chocolate cake .

Everyone seemed to be having the time of their lives , the playlist played by the DJ was lit .

In the midst of the funkiness , I spotted Lorraine pushing through the crowd on the dance floor trying to get her way to the stage .  

"Oh God , what is she going to do ?" I was filled with anxiety .

Lorraine was the craziest friend ever . She was a spontaneous individual who would do anything that came to her mind . Many people would take offense to what she said , and she also got in deep trouble in many occasions , but I could not take away the fact that whatever she said , was the plain truth or a stinging slap to reality .

I begged for God's mercy . I kept on praying she wouldn't do or say anything crazy .  The last time she went on stage was on my classmate Fred's birthday , and after that , we never saw him again , not at home , not in school , we saw him nowhere !

She tapped the mic thrice . 

"Can I have your attention please !"

Everyone looked up as they slowly stopped the rythm in their bodies .

"Please , please gather around !"  She continued .

"I am standing before you , not only  as Maryam's best friend but also as her soul sister. "

She paused and pointed to me .

"Maryam I love you so much , Happy birthday girlfriend . You have been the best for 11 years and I only wish the best for you . I want you to be my children's God Mother and I hope you live even longer to loose your virginity ! "

She smiled and clapped chanting the Birthday song .

Everyone in the party gasped and stared at me , as if I had committed a grave sin.

" I am a muslim , why can't they understand that I can't have sexual relations before marriage !"

I stood , frozen to the ground , thinking and almost on the verge of breaking down into tears . I could not take it anymore ; the ugly stares , giggles and live gossips that were happening right infront of me .