Chapter 20 • news

4 hours later, after many scans and tests, I lay exhausted in a hospital bed with Dan and Phil next to me.

"I'm scared..." I admit out loud and Dan squeezed my hand lightly in a comforting way.

Ashley had woken up, seen Phil's note and was on her way to us now. Unlike us, Ashley could actually drive and since her car had been parked on Dan and Phil's driveway (yes, they actually have a driveway), she said she would drive here, getting a McDonalds breakfast for us all on the way.

As if on queue, Ashley walked in with two brown paper bags, each marked with a yellow M, "McDonalds was sooo busy this morning!" She commented, handing out the McMuffins from the bags to us.

I put mine to one side. Not that I wasn't hungry. I was... I just wasn't in the mood for food right now.

Then a doctor walked in. "Miss Lester?" He asked, looking at me.

"Yes?" The doctor had a sort of sad look in his eye. He then sighed and looked at the sheet of paper he had the clipboard in front of him.

"We are sorry," he started, pushing his glasses up his nose. Oh no. 'We are sorry' is never a good sentence from a doctor..., "We did all the scans, checked the results a number of times to make sure we were sure... but we're afraid to say you had a miscarriage."

I didn't know what to say. I mean, what would you say?

A tiny portion was glad I wasn't having Benji's baby. But a lot of me was upset and angry. This was all my fault. I must have done something to cause myself to have a miscarriage. I had to have done.

The doctor looked at me, "I'll leave you for a while and then we can check out of this hospital." And then he walked out the ward.

I just looked at my hands which were in my lap above the hospital bed-covers. I couldn't talk. I couldn't speak. I felt like nothing, numb even.

"Willow..." my brothers voice was quiet and soft. I looked at him slowly, my eyes watering, "It'll be ok."

I look back at my hands and soon tears were landing on them and soon I was full on crying, bending my knees up and I cuddled them close to my chest.

I couldn't stop... this was two people I had lost in the past month now... First mom and now the baby.

I felt a pair of arms around me and I felt a kiss being placed on my head, "It'll be ok Willow..." Dan's voice tells me.

I carry on crying and soon all four of us in the ward were in a hug, and I think we were all crying because I was crying and I know Dan, Phil and Ashley are all also quiet sensitive people and will cry with/at anything.

•••

Half an hour later, the four of us are crammed into Ashley's mint green beetle. Well, Phil insists it's pale blue but me and Ashley keep telling him it's mint green.

"LETS JUST AGREE IT'S PASTEL PURPLE!" Dan cries.

That shuts us up. Me and Dan are in the back sitting next to each other, Phil and Ashley in the front. It was now 8am and Ashley had the roof of the car down because she 'felt like it'.

When we reached home, I was the first one who got out, first one into the house and then I went up to the gaming room and locked myself in there.

I locked the door and lent against it, sliding down it. I then began to cry. Again.

I then heard my phone go off from the floor next to me. I went over, picked it up and read the message.

+44572963618292
I heard what you did to our baby. You monster.