Chapter 2

So no one actually seems to have read the story :/ But I shall persevere! So, if you do read this, could you please leave a comment and tell me how I could improve? I'm only really doing this so I can improve at the moment... Unless someone amazing comments :) And if it's rubbish... Then tell me it's rubbish so I can stop torturing myself :L

ALL RIGHTS GO TO RICK RIORDAN, ALMIGHTY GOD OF ALL CHARACTERS AND THINGS PERCY JACKSON/ HEROES OF OLYMPUS!

Annabeth-

Percy was on the floor, trapped under Orthrus's giant, furry paw. As he fell, his head had cracked on the cold, hard floor.

I crawled forward, trying not to let my ankle touch the ground. I watched Orthrus closely... Surely it was about to die? Just when the thought crossed my mind, the serpent tale swished once more to the side, almost like it was being charmed with a flute. Then, thankfully, it crumbled into dust, like a collapsing sand castle.

Lunging to Percy, I dragged him out of the spooky remains. Holding my breath, I waited, staring at his chest and stomach for what felt like an eternity. Then, slowly, his stomach lifted as he breathed. Almost tearful with joy, I smoothed the backs of my fingers across his cheeks, brushing off any dirt left behind.

I picked up Riptide, which had been left in the pile of dust, and turned it around in my hand. I admired the hilt of it, and read the word ANAKLUSMOS, carved deeply into it. I remembered all the times I'd seen Percy battle with it, remembered all the times it had saved his life - and mine. Overcome with emotion, I almost found myself thanking the sword. Wiping my matted, dirty hair from my forehead, I quickly capped it and tucked it into Percy's pocket, chastising myself. A child of Athena, emotional over a sword? Oh, how wise, Annabeth!

I turned to staring at Percy again. His eyes twitched under their lids, and I found myself longing to see his sea green irises. Brushing his hair back off his forehead, deep black in the dark, I felt intensely guilty and ashamed.

How had I been so selfishly letting him do this for me? It was my fault he was lying here, helpless, knocked out cold.

Biting my lip against the tingling in my eyes and the sharp pull in my throat, I prayed. It wasn't the usual 'Dear Mom, save me..' prayer, it was a broadcast to all the Gods up in Olympus, Roman and Greek. I put all my emotions behind it and thought as intensely as I could;

'Please, if you can hear me, if you care... We both know that Percy does not deserve anything that's happened to him. I am the most weak, useless Demigod out there, and he threw himself into Tartarus for me. He refused the offer to become Immortal for me! So, please, do this favour for him. Please, promise me that if I close the Doors of Death, Percy will never have to go on a stupid Quest ever again, promise me you'll look after him and promise me that whatever happens, whatever monster decides to attack him, you will do everything, every little thing, in your power to help him. Please!'

I was breathing hard with the effort of putting so much emotion and power into the prayer - I wanted it so badly.

I heard Percy move beside me and I looked down at him. "Percy? Seaweed Brain, it's time to wake up now!" I coaxed.

Finally, his gorgeous green eyes opened and met my gaze, and somehow I knew the Gods had heard me. Which could only mean--

I was going to have to close the Doors.