Chapter 9

Nevermore put his hand to his neck subconciously and rasped, "That was then. This is now." He walked out the room, Zane following him like they were still kids and everything was like a human life for them. Which ended over eight hundred years ago. Nevermore growled at him as he continued to walk down the long hall and towards the library, "Get over the fact that you can't expect me to be all close to you just because I accepted you're apology. You lost the trust, and you can start by earning it back." Zane looked around the library before rolling his ice blue eyes, "By doing what exactly?" DNevermore thought for a moment as he was setting books out for Alari to study later on. 

Nevermore turned to him, "You can start by telling me everything Lucifer tells you. Because as you may have guessed, been three hundred years since I last saw the asshole." His brother nodded, "So basically a spy? Alright. Well first off, I made a contract with Zak, then I got a few orders from Lucifer. The first one was the normal. Collect souls that are due to him before the angels get them but the second order...I dont know why but he told me to kill you. Then the third, he just wanted me to injure you really bad." Zane pointed to Nevermore's bruises. 

"Go on..." Nevermore urged. Zane continued, "The fourth was a recent one, he told me to injure you and make sure you get either hospitialized or weak enough to the point where you are still alive, but you cant fight back." He stopped seeing Nevermore deep on thought, he snapped his fingers at his brother. Nevermore blinked and looked at Zane, "Hm? Oh sorry. I dont get it though. Why does he want me dead?" Zane shrugged. As he was about to explain further, the two brothers heard a clicking sound to the front door and a familiar voice echoed, "Nevermore! Im home!" 

He panicked and shoved Zane towards the window, "Get. Out!" Zane resisted and shot back, "Are you crazy?! I cant jump down that far!" 

"Its only forty feet or more. NOW GO."

"You're a dick, Nevermore."

"I know I have one. Now go!" Nevermore was getting annoyed and pushed his brother out the window. Zane fell and landed on his face. Nevermore busted out laughing and didnt realize Alari had come up then watched him push Zane out the window. "What did you do?" Alari said calmly. Nevermore froze in shock and turned slowly, a nervous smile showed, "I uh....um....Well...."

Alari then turned her calm gaze to a disappointed glare. He gulped nervously and backed up, his lower body against the short wall under the open window. Zane got up and dusted himself off and yelled, "WHY DONT YOU JOIN ME, ASSHOLE?! QUITE COMFORTABLE DOWN HERE!" Alari laughed and nodded shouting, "He will be right down there!" She spoke to him in a hushed voice, "Look, ever since last night, I was thinking that you two can get along while I go to work. Yes I got the job. Now, reform your brotherly bonds." Alari pushed him out and Nevermore landed hard on his back, winding him. He gasped, "Alari, you meany." 

It was Zane's turn to laugh and he did. Very loudly, and in an obvious mocking way.