Chapter 8 - Dinner at Le Marais

Începe de la început

I wasn't expecting him to give me an answer right away. After all, we don't know much about each other, and he hasn't been in the lifestyle for long enough to understand that love is not necessarily required to submit to someone or to dominate someone.

I had more or less feelings for my previous Subs. I appreciated some of them more than others, but I never felt true love. To be honest, I don't know what I feel for Shannon - it can't be love yet - but I can't deny my deep attraction for the brown-haired boy, and I really want to have the opportunity to know him better. The purpose of my proposition for a contract was mostly to let the idea begin to sink into his head.

Suggesting a dinner was the best option I think, as we will be able to find out more about each other. I am truly puzzled by this young man, and his obvious joie de vivre. I want to understand why he dropped out of school and why he hasn't been able to settle down in a job. I want him to tell me about his childhood. I want to know what he likes and what he doesn't. There lays the biggest difference between him and other Subs I had in the past. I am curious about him. I have never felt this urge to know someone better before, even with Malo who was my favorite Sub so far.

As I walk out of the Wine & Cheese Bar, the latest restaurant I opened in Chicago, I grab my phone in the pocket of my jeans and start walking back home, dialing a number.

"Restaurant Le Marais, good afternoon. Matt speaking, how can I help you?" my maître d'h says.

"Matt, will you ever be able to pronounce the R in the French way?" I tease him.

"Hi Boss! Send me to Paris for a few weeks, make sure I am booked in one of the nicest hotels of the City of Love, and I'm sure I'll find a lovely chick who can teach me to twist my tongue in the right way to pronounce the French R."

"There are plenty of French people in Chicago, you don't need to go to Paris."

"Maybe, but that's not as funny."

"Good try, but it won't work."

"Damn... Well, in this case, I'll keep my American R, no problem. Anyway! What can I do for you, Boss? Are you still coming tonight?"

Huh... It depends on which meaning you give to that verb... I will certainly come to the restaurant with my special guest, but I doubt I'll be able to come into said special guest. At least, not just yet.

"Yes, I am," I reply, because Matt certainly meant it in the innocent way. "I just wanted to double check you have booked the private room for me and my guest."

"Yes Sir! Private room Saint Paul de Vence, table for two, at 7:15 pm!"

"Perfect! Please make sure our waiter is Dylan."

"Yes, no problem! Anything else?"

"How's it going with Simon?" I then ask.

Simon is a Chef and the kitchen manager at my main restaurant. He is a brilliant cook but he has been kind of a source of worries for me recently. I don't have any evidence about real problems, just a feeling that something is off with him.

"Same, same. I still haven't been able to catch him while in one of his angry fits. The new guy we hired in May seems to hold on and hasn't complained yet. Maybe the two previous ones were just a bit too weak to deal with the stress of busy shifts..."

"Okay, let me know if you see anything going wrong, alright?"

"Yes, I will."

"I'm about to step into the elevator, so I'll see you tonight!"

"Yes, have a good afternoon!"

"Thanks, you too!"

I hang up and walk into the lift cage. I live in a nice and luxurious apartment building that was designed and built by Joshua's company. I truly enjoy living on the top floor, with a beautiful view on the city. It is very quiet and comfortable, and the lucky bastard I am, being friends with Josh, was able to get the condo for the price of an apartment on the first floor.