Chapter 18: You Used a Teddy Bear?

Start from the beginning

"Why are you here, James?" I said. "I didn't ask for your company."

James looked over at me, his knees brushing against my leg but it felt more like a feather then a bone. "You look a mess."

I scowled at him. "That doesn't answer my question."

He smiled at me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. I stiffened and said, "James, I still don't like you."

His mouth was near my ear when he replied, "I still like you though, Kylie."

I shrugged helplessly, his arm staying intact instead of moving away like I would have wanted it to. "James, you... you're a dangerous person. I don't want you around, at all."

Now, his arm left my shoulder and he placed his hands on them, twisting me to face him. The smile was off his face and James seemed to have the most serious look I have ever seen on him. Something in my caused a shudder to go done my spine as I stared at him. It surprised me though that the feeling to up and kick him in the balls then jet down the stairs wasn't there. I should be seriously doing that but instead my body went stiff and my eyes couldn't leave his.

 What was my problem?

 "I wouldn't do anything to hurt you, ever." James said, searching my eyes for something I didn't know about. "Believe me Kylie, please."

I stared him, his face relaxed though his skin was whiter than it should be. Should I believe this person? And then events that had only happened earlier crawled in my mind and I shook his hands off me roughly.

 "You tried to get me arrested." I scowled at him, lifting up out of the bed even though my body complained. "Don't give me that bullshit."

James stared at me, a confused look on his face. "What are you talking about?"

Shaking me head I yelled at him, "Oh, don't play dumb with me! You know exactly what I'm talking about. Just admit it, that was what you were after all along. All that crap from earlier was nothing but a bunch of damn lies."

James raised out of the bed and gripped my two arms that were lying loosely by my sides. His hand pressed a little on the bruise that was still on my arm and I winced when a small throbbing occurred. Instantly, his grip loosened and looked down at me, causing me to have to tilt my head to glare at him in the eyes.

"Kylie. I seriously don't know what the hell your talking about." A small smile appeared on his face even though his eyes looked worried, even concerned. "Care to explain?"

What if it really wasn't James that put the drugs in my pocket? Then who did? Could it have been Bridget? Then wouldn't that mean she knew about the drugs? I highly doubted that Evan would have even bothered in telling her about it. I let out a sign, completely exhausted again. James warm hands took mines and he lead me back over to the bed, gently pushing me done into it.

"I don't know what's going on but you need to go to sleep." He said, letting go of my hands causing them to go lazily into my lap. They were suddenly cold without his. I watched as he walked over to the glass doors, sliding them open slowly.

He turned his head and looked at me, the moon light glinting off his hair and gleaming into his beautiful and sparkling eyes. "Oh. You used a teddy bear?"

It bubbled up in my throat and I let out a small laugh, looking over at the teddy bear that lay on my bed. I shrugged helplessly. "I didn't have much else to chose from."

"You used a teddy bear?" He asked again, looking around my room as if to see if it was the truth.

I rolled my eyes at him, grabbing the teddy bear and throwing it at him. He caught it before it hit him in the stomach, staring down at the thing. "Whatever, James. I would have won with it anyways."

"Yeah, if I was a damn spider. You wouldn't have won at all." James said, tossing the bear lightly back my way.

I shook my head. "You throw like a little bitch."

He raised his eyebrows at me. "Such language."

Rolling my eyes, I tossed the teddy bear into the air until it hit the ceiling, catching it when it came back down. "Yeah, yeah, Dad."

I was watching the teddy bear fly through the air and I hadn't even noticed that James had sneaked up on me until his lips were smashing into mines.

Again.

I didn't move at all and my mind turned back to the time at Starbucks. This was the way Evan had kissed me, just letting me do it, as if knowing my feelings but not wanting to accept them. And the way I felt afterwards, so worthless and rejected. Did James feel that way after he knew I hadn't accepted his feelings? With those thoughts in mind, my hands had found themselves tangled in James hair, pulling him towards me. And I kissed him back.

But the only person on my mind while I was kissing him was Evan.