The Life That Wasn't For Her

Warning: Extreme sexual content. Mild gore.
-

Cara had been holding onto Jourdan for a near twenty minutes now. Every now and then they'd break away from their tight embrace to look at each other's faces.

"I missed you so much", Cara whispers.

"And for the thousandth time, I missed you, too", Jourdan says with a satisfied sigh, falling into yet another hug. "Can you believe the Chosen One has been found?"

"Well she's lost now", Cara says in a worried tone. "Karlie's fled, too".

They sit in Cara's underground home, daylight pouring in through the holes up above. It feels like a womb of some sort. It's safe. Everything is safe right now. With nothing but the gentle hum and buzz of neighbouring burrows, Cara wishes she could stay in here with her friend for eternity. As rough and tumble as she is, vampires get scared, too. And for the first time in a long time, Cara is very very scared.

"What are you thinking about, love?", Jourdan quietly asks with a nudge to Cara's knee. Her eyes glow grey from Cara's perspective, but they are in fact red like her own; both of them being underground dwellers. And they gaze upon Cara with the utmost concern.

"Just trying to process that all of this is happening. We're under attack and all".

"If Lady gets a hold of Opal she's going to go after the rest of us", Jourdan hisses. "What do we do then? Where do we go—"

"That isn't going to happen...", Cara interrupts. "Taylor is going to save us".

"Taylor's lost".

"She's coming back... Maybe we should follow Karlie".

Jourdan raises an eyebrow, "She was very clear when she said she wanted to do this on her own".

"I'm her guardian! I'm supposed to be keeping her out of trouble. She could get just as lost as Taylor. Who knows where those wolves chased her, and for how long!"

"All right, calm down", Jourdan utters, "We're all going through this together, and Taylor is going to come back. Karlie is going to be okay".

"We should follow her", Cara gasps, nearly hitting her head off of the crumbly roof.

Jourdan gives an incredulous huff, "Are you mad? Are you actually serious right now, do you know what you just said? Are you aware of what you just said?"

"I don't know why you're so against it, Jour. Karlie might need us".

"She's been gone for two days, Cara".

"Jour, that's a long time! That's a really long time. I'm sick with worry".

"Yeah, well, you're you".

Jourdan stops a giggle when she sees the look of anger across Cara's face. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Car, you worry about lots of things. You worry about the amount of sugar in your tea".

"This is a lot different from any old cuppa, J".

"You used to be different. You used to be a wild thing! Remember when you jumped off of cliffs and flew across the sea? When you used to run wild through fields with the Haim sisters—"

"Jourdan—"

"When you went hunting every single night and you'd return home covered in blood and dirt. Sweet Luc, you were so free".

"I still am!", Cara yells, the sheer volume of her voice shaking the underground hideaway. "I'm just... I'm careful now. I'm... scared. I want to protect people but I'm scared".