The Send Off

Karlie sprawls herself out onto her queen sized bed with a million miserable thoughts clouding her mind. It's been a week since she abandoned Taylor in the lonely fields of Miller's Farm, left to wonder when they will see each other again. Karlie doesn't mean to leave Taylor for so long but her mother is persistent at keeping her in the kingdom to learn about her duties as a princess. Also because of the fact that Vampire Hunters are inching closer and closer to the mountains each day.

She sighs heavily to herself and drags a hand down her face in frustration. She doesn't want to just stay in bed all day. She has classes on etiquette and how to run a kingdom at four this evening and her dusty wall clock has just hit nine forty five.

What a long day this was going to be.

There comes a faint half-knock on her bedroom door and Cara steps in with a grey satin bag slumped over one shoulder.

"Your Highness, you're finally awake", she greets.

"Good morning", Karlie murmurs.

"Good morning. Now, your mother has ordered me to measure your wingspan. Do you think you could produce your wings without destroying this room?", Cara asks and then fishes out a wheel of measuring tape from her bag.

Karlie puffs out her cheeks blowing at a few strands of hair around her face "Why do you have to be so condescending this early in the morning?"

"Your Highness, it is nearing ten o'clock"

"Whatever, just do what you have to do"

"Well, first of all you have to lie on your stomach and produce your wings, Your Highness", Cara states as if it is the most obvious fact in the world.

"Fine, fine", Karlie grumbles and does a told. She removes her night dress and lies stomach down on her sheets.

It takes a few awkward minutes of grunting and muttering profanities, but Karlie eventually summons her leathery wings and spreads them out for Cara to measure.

"Why do I even have to do this?"

"To check how they're growing, princess", Cara explains as she sketches down a few numbers on a small scroll of parchment.

"Tell me, why does that matter?"

"No need for that tone, Your Highness. Your mother simply likes to know how you're developing. You may be rid of these by the way, thank you" Cara gives Karlie's left wing a light tap with the back of her hand.

Cara is about to pack up and exit the bedroom when Karlie utters for her to wait

"Can I ask you something?", she wonders, shyly. She never usually asks to speak with Cara about anything but right now she is desperate for some pep talk.

"You may ask me anything, Your Highness", Cara assures, her red eyes glinting with curiosity.

Karlie holds her bed sheets up to her bare chest and leans against the headboard "It's about... mates"

There's a beat in the conversation "Princess, we talked about this. When two mates love each other very much, they decide-"

"No, it's not that! I know about that. It's just..."

On seeing Karlie trail off and lose her usual spunk, Cara closes the door and proceeds to sit at the edge of the bed. She folds her hands on her lap and stares intently, waiting for the princess to pick up where she left off. Karlie bites down on her tongue and huffs

"Can a vampire and a human be mates?", she asks rather quickly and almost indecipherably.

Cara drums her fingers on her lap, clearly bothered by where the conversation is going "It has happened before, yes. Quite rare but it has happened"