The Girl Named Karlie

September 1880

The town lies quiet as its inhabitants intently listen for the important news that their Mayor has to announce.

Taylor, a fair haired girl with the bluest of eyes and the most innocent of hearts, curls a lock of her blonde hair behind her ear in a hesitant impatience. She is the sweetheart of the town, with two or three gentlemen constantly waiting around to get their hands on her and whisk her way into a planned marriage.

But Taylor isn't one for serious relationships

But Taylor isn't one for serious relationships. Sure, she has fooled around with a few young men here and there but it simply terrifies her to even think about marriage. Her watchful mother, Andrea, has always said that she was just shy and has social awkwardness issues but this is not the case.

Taylor doesn't care for boys.

And this is a deadly sin, punishable by immediate execution in her small town called Carpentior.

No, Taylor never liked the way her boy childhood companions played in the dirt with worms and spiders. She never enjoyed the idea of settling down with a man who she would serve day in and day out for the rest of her life. Yes, she has male acquaintances and gets along perfectly well with them. But not once has it crossed her mind to ever marry one.

Every evening after Taylor finishes with her chores she would take walks by the lakes and forests that surrounded her home. She knows that some of her female friends live close by and that she'll most likely bump into one of them on her journey. But Taylor has yet to develop strong feelings for them. Or anyone for that matter.

She always knew she was different. A liking for girls is a treasure to her that she longingly wishes she could embrace. But it is either keep quiet or have your head sliced off at the guillotine in this day and age. She dreams about someday living in a world where girls could marry girls and be approved of by surrounding eyes. She dreams of running away from her town with a short haired trouble maker or a blonde headed beauty and starting a little business somewhere to live off of. Oh, how she longs for a life like that. How she longs for acceptance and liberty.

Taylor wants freedom. She doesn't want to be a part of a strange mans life forever. She wants to feel liberated. Wild.

She wants to be a vampire hunter.

Just like her father used to be. Taylor longs for the exciting life of a skilled hunter, fighting crime every night and being praised every day. She wants to run and hide and fight and win.

She wants to be herself.

And now here she stands, supposed to be quietly waiting for some apparently "dreadful news", but instead she is daydreaming about crazy made up adventures and sighing to herself in deep boredom.

"Stand up straight, dear," her mother instructs, shivering in her Sunday coat.

Taylor chuckles to herself on hearing the self-knowing innuendo.