The Books Lied

Taylor's heart feels like it has thrown itself hard against her chest. Her mind is spinning, her feet are frozen to the forest floor. An icy breeze sends chills down her spine as she stands before Karlie's true form. She tries to run but she cannot move a single muscle. And it's not out of fear. Well, not completely. No, Taylor is being held in place. An invisible force is pinning her to the ground like a rabbit in a snare.

"Why can't I move?" Taylor whispers. Her voice has evaporated. The words she manages to speak are hoarse and dry.

"You're under a hold spell," Karlie explains, her voice shaky and soft. Even though she has bared her fangs and trapped Taylor against her will, she still appears frightened and fragile.

The glisten from her fresh tears still remains glossed over eyes. Her lower lip is quivering slightly as she tries to recover from her little breakdown which happened mere seconds ago. To be honest Taylor thinks it's a sad sight. Shouldn't a vampire be an evil, heartless monster? Just like they say in her school lessons? Something about this isn't right.

"Let me go," she breathes.

"No! You'll hurt me," Karlie exclaims with a look of utter disgust.

Taylor is confused. She should be the one worrying about being hurt in this situation, not Karlie. She scans over the girl's face. It's a blend of fear and sadness and anger all mixed together. Karlie stands about five feet away. She has her arms hovering around her sides ready to grab hold of a weapon in case Taylor somehow manages to break free from her spell. She stares deep into Taylor's gaze in an attempt to look braver behind her glistening tears.

"I... I won't hurt you," Taylor stammers, trying to sound somewhat reassuring.

"Yes, you will! Just like all the others!" Karlie yells. Another tear rolls down her cheek and she wipes it away with the back of her arm. What a cry baby Taylor thinks.

"What do you mean just like all the others?"

"Others like you" Karlie spits, boldly storming up to Taylor and roughly poking her in the chest with one finger. "You're not the first human I've tried to make friends with. There have been others. And each time someone found out they'd try to kill me right then and there!"

Karlie hisses loudly in Taylor's face, making the girl whimper. Spittle flies in Taylor's direction. A trail of frothy white dribbles from one of Karlie's fangs and drips onto her shirt. "Ah, geez", she grumbles. "Sorry, that happens."

"W-what is it?", Taylor asks.

"Salem's Pact. It's poison", Karlie groans, wiping at her mouth with her shirt collar.

"WHA-"

"Stop that, be quiet! You're not gonna die or anything. If it gets on your skin it's just gonna sting a little," Karlie snaps, pure arrogance in her tone. She stubbornly folds her arms and kicks at the dusty ground before letting out a frustrated groan.

Taylor decides to take a few short moments to process the situation that is unfolding and add up the details she knows so far:

-Karlie is a yearling vampire. 
- She has tried to befriend Taylor for some reason.
- Apparently, this is not unusual behaviour for her.
- Vampires are really emotional.

"Karlie, what is going on? Why did you do this? Why did you deceive me?" Taylor asks, quietly. She keeps her words slow and steady. Nobody is going to get anywhere if someone doesn't calm down.

"I... I wasn't completely lying about training you to be a hunter," Karlie begins, looking to the dirt. "You see, my family are some sort of resistance. They're part of an alliance against vampire hunters. I thought if I befriended you I could begin to change your views on us and... maybe get you to help us. Your kind are so unreasonable and so... scary."