Chapter 16 - Appearance

Começar do início

“I will.” Desiree turned away, her eyes glittering with tears, obviously avoiding promising me.

Desi

I stood in the middle of a giant barbed-wire cage with a roaring crowd in front of me, chanting my name. Screaming spectators were jumping in their seats as they waited for the bell to ring. I felt my face clench in anger and rough breaths heaved my chest up and down. My head slowly turned from side to side with disgust at the people who were so eager to see bloodshed.

The roaring heightened as the red doors to the front of the theater in front burst open. A group of soldiers in full body armor marched in, hauling an infected woman. Her hands were cuffed behind her and a muzzle had been tied over her mouth to protect them from her deadly bite. This one must be dangerous.

They pulled at her arms trying to drag her closer to the cage but she fought them, slinging her body left to right. One of the soldiers reached up and slapped her across the face making her go still.

I could see the fury that blazed in her midnight black eyes as her body went rigid. A low growl escaped from her and the soldiers took her moment of paralysis to pick her up and carry her to the steps of the cage.

The cage stood elevated on a stage above the fronts rows of seats, and I watched horrified as the crowds’ eyes grew large with excitement. My fists clenched at my sides and I bit the insides of my cheek to keep from screaming.

The makeshift door to the cage creaked open as a soldier and the woman stepped inside with me.The woman’s black hair fell to her chin and she instantly reminded me of Selma. Pain welled up in my heart as I remembered the dedicated mother who had willingly died to potentially save her daughter. Tears filled my eyes, blurring my vision and I quickly blinked them away. Thank God Aundrea wasn't here.

My hurt automatically turned into hatred as I locked eyes with a woman in the balconies. Her red hair shone off of the lights above her and wicked smile spread across her face. I glared fiercely into the eyes of Vivian Hoff; my blood boiling.

“Desiree,” The guard’s voice tore my gaze from Vivian and onto the tall man in front of me that was trying to contain the flailing woman.

“It’s Desi,” I corrected him with a snarl.

The guard cleared his throat. “Sorry, Desi.” He mumbled. “Here is your weapon for this match.” He reached behind his back and pulled a hammer from his belt.

“Oh thanks,” I said sarcastically. “A hammer.” I think all of the pain and anger up to this point had made me go insane because I actually laughed in the man’s face. “Give me that damn thing,” I said ripping it out of his hand.

“Good luck,” The guard said gruffly before reaching up with his now empty hand. His fingers wound around the laces of the muzzle, untwisting them. As soon as the muzzle fell off of the woman's face the man quickly escaped through the cage door closing it behind him.

Without the muzzle the woman’s teeth bared and a snarl escaped through them.

I knew the rules. One, put on a good show for the crowd; two, get bitten, spread the cure. What bullshit that was!

I knew I was supposed to make my opponent angry, maybe slice them up a little, and in the end take a bite so that the cure can do its magic They couldn’t just inject the infected with our blood. Oh no. They had to turn it into a way to make money and be entertained in the process.

I’m not going to follow their rules. I'm sick and tired of following their rules.

My teeth ground together as I took in all of the men and women dressed in their evening attire, whom had bought their way into this camp. Seeing the thrill on their faces seemed as if they weren’t even touched by the infection outbreak. As if Evan hadn't just been killed the other night. As if nothing had even happened. But they did remember me, and they screamed my name until I thought my ears would bleed.