(1)

connor watched as the last customer smiled at him, and threw away his cup. "goodnight connor," he said. connor smiled, loving when someone addresses him by his name.

he grabbed the keys from the jar. he grabbed his jacket, and phone as well. he looked around one last time to make sure he had turned off every single appliance.

connor pushed opened the door and closed it. he picked the correct key and locked the door. just as he was about to leave, his phone started to ring.

"hello?" he asked, using his shoulder to hold up his phone to his ear. he dropped the keys, and sighed. "hello?"

the phone call ended. he furrowed his eyebrows, and checked the screen. an australian area code.

he locked the phone and shoved the phone into his pocket. grabbing the keys, he walked home.

it had been at least five months since connor had talked to someone from australia. from now and then he would talk to tyde and sage but that ended a few months ago.

he looked up at the sky, only one star out. connor smiled to himself and got out his keys. he sneezed, using his sleeve to wipe his nose.

"oh good!" said someone. connor jumped and looked around. coming up his porch steps was dan. "thought you were sleeping."

connor groaned. "no! i told you i'm not in the mood." said connor, leaning his head back on his door. "i've worked for ten hours, let me sleep."

dan frowned. "all you've been doing for five months now is hideaway. it was fine for a while, work then home. it's time connor."

connor stared at him. his mind racing to perth. to him. to troye.

"i know." said connor, dropping his head. "i don't know why it still hurts." he played with the keys.

dan stepped closer, tilting his head up. "it's phil's birthday, c'mon. he hadn't seen you in a week! that's like six years to him."

connor smiled. "yeah, you're right. poor thing."

they both laughed. "c'mon. get changed." dan grabbed his keys and unlocked his front door.

"i don't think i did any washing." said connor putting his jacket on table. "i was rushing to get to work."

dan, who was looking through his wardrobe, laughed. "yeah, why were you so late today?"

connor hummed, making himself some coffee. "i was reading some book." he said, looking down then back up at his mug. "just some book i found from australia."

dan came back with a simple black shirt. "i know it's simple but it fits my aesthetic."

connor smiled. "no, i like it. thank you. i'm brewing some coffee, you want some?"

dan made a face. "how can you work at a café and drink coffee. you must really like coffee. alright! get change! i'll be outside in the car."

connor hummed. he grabbed the shirt from dan before he left, and slowly took off the one he was wearing. he slipped into the cleaner one, the smell of the detergent making him sneeze.

"man," said connor to himself. he must be getting sick. he grabbed a tissue from the living room table and blew his nose. "what else? what else?"

he checked the pot, and turned off his machine. he poured himself the coffee and started to have second thoughts.

"why am i drinking coffee if i'm going to get drunk?" he asked himself. he shook his head and put the coffee back.

connor grabbed his wallet and keys. he was almost out the door when he remembered his jacket. he grabbed the jacket, accidentally dropping something.

with a loud smack onto the ground, he looked down to see troye's journal. he stared at it for a while. remembering the night he found it in the guest room where he was staying. the night when troye gave it to him in the airport.

he finally looked away, swallowing hard. five months. connor closed his eyes and took a deep breathe.

new start.

new start.