chapter twenty-six

Start from the beginning

I paused for a moment, leaning against the wall as I turned to face her comatose state. I wasn't sure if she could even hear me but all I knew is that she was here and I needed to say everything that was on my mind.

"I tell myself that you changed my life. That you are my life, but what did I do? I ruined yours. If I wasn't so fucking dumb then maybe you wouldn't be like this. I was the one that failed to protect you, the one that hurt you. It's all my fucking fault, Alyssa."

Keep going.

"I don't know if I'm ever going to forgive myself for everything that I've done to hurt you. But if you wake up one day, then I'm going to try and make up for each and every time because I can't stand to not be with you."

Say it.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is that," I paused for a moment and closed my eyes, "I love you darling, and I'm hoping that you'll be okay."

Just as the words escaped my mouth, the door opened, causing me to look up. A doctor stood in the doorway, holding a clipboard in one hand and a pen in the other.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know that there was someone here," she started but I shook my head and smiled.

"I was just leaving," I said, untangling my hand from Alyssa's. I got up from the chair and was about to pass the doctor when she grabbed my arm.

"You can stay, I'll be done in a few minutes."

I looked down at her hand enclosed around my arm before looking over at Alyssa. It took me a split-second to make a decision. The doctor removed her hand from my arm as I turned towards her.

"I'll stay, if you don't mind, of course."

"I don't mind at all," she said, smiling softly as she passed me. I stood near the doorway as she made her way over to Alyssa. It was a silent for a few seconds as she prepared and then all of a sudden she turned towards me.

"Is Alyssa your girlfriend?" The doctor asked. I looked up and nodded softly, smiling.

"Yeah, she is."

"You're a lucky guy, she's really pretty."

"I tell myself that every day."

More silence.

"This must be hard for you," she said softly as she pulled a small flashlight out of her pocket. "I'm sorry."

"It was my fault," I whispered, not expecting her to hear me.

"Why do you say that?"

"I did something, and that's why she was out on the street when she was. Maybe if I hadn't screwed up so bad then she wouldn't be like this."

"Just because you did something that resulted in something bad, doesn't necessarily mean that it's your fault. Things happen for a reason."

"This shouldn't have happened," I managed to choke out.

"Im sorry, I didn't mean it that way."

"No, it's fine. I just...I need some air," I said quickly before opening the door. I was about to close the door behind me when I heard the doctor gasp.