Chapter Twelve

I was heading to the TV room. I had wrapped my arms around myself in a pathetic effort to hide my arms as much as possible. I barely managed to cover my wrists, however, never mind the tops of my forearms and so on.

I focused on my feet as I walked, trying to focus on anything other than scratching my arms. Despite everyone in this place being bat shit crazy, they had stared.

I hadn't worn short-sleeved shirts since I was twelve, so it was more than strange. I hated it. I was more exposed than I had been in years.

Despite my attempts to stay away from everyone, I had been forced to leave my room by one of the more stubborn nurses, who instead of calling Richard, immediately threatened to call Security. She also failed to hide her smirk when she saw my involuntary wince. Loitering in the hallways wasn't even an option, as she had made so clear. There was always the basement, but they had found me once, they'd find me, again. And I wasn't really willing to spend any time that I didn't need to down there, as well...

The only remaining place I had yet to be banned from? The TV room.

If there had been a door to the TV room, I maybe would have turned back and reconsidered running back to the basement, but there was no door, and therefore, there was no reconsidering anything. I had already been spotted, and by who? Mason, of course.

As he saw me, his face brightened and he waved me over with way too much enthusiasm for a boy who had been dropped in the loony bin. Slouching my shoulders and hiding my arms as much as was physically possible, I headed over to him.

He was practically bouncing in his seat, the foreign excitement entirely uncontained and obviously new to him. "Guess what!"

"What," I deadpanned.

"Richard said that we're going out tomorrow!" he exclaimed, a Cheshire Cat grin lighting up his face.

"So?" I crossed my legs and leaned back into the cushioned chair.

Mason's smile faltered a bit. "So...we get to leave..."

I shook my head, frowning. "No, you get to leave. I have to stay here."

Mason's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, and suddenly his smile dropped. "Sam, when was the last time you left this place?"

"Three years ago, why?"

Mason's eyes widened, and he jumped out of his chair. "I'll be right back."

I watched him curiously as he approached one of the doctors who had been standing by the medicine counter. He talked animatedly with her, running his hand through his hair and talking quickly and fiercely. She spoke calmly and with a poised eyebrow. She glanced at me quickly, and I looked down at my lap, narrowly avoiding her calculating blue gaze. I didn't look up until Mason returned to his seat beside me.

"What was all that about?" I mumbled.

"Nothing," he grinned.