Chapter Ten

"Sam Bendetti," the nurse called.

I trudged up to the counter and grabbed the small paper cup from her hands. I took a look into it, sighed, and shook the wide variety of pills into my hand. I didn't even glance at the plastic cup of water I had also been supplied with. As I began to walk away from the counter, Richard stepped forward.

"Let me see,"

I glared at him, but opened my mouth nonetheless. Richard spent a moment longer than necessary checking for the medication, before he nodded and sent me on his way.

I turned away, about to head back to Mason and smiling triumphantly, but my face suddenly contorted into a pained grimace as something hit the floor below me.

Richard bent over, picking up the small white capsule of medication. "Sam?" he asked, sounding disappointed and exasperated.

I spun around to face the looming doctor. "I don't want to take your damn medication. It doesn't fix anything."

"Samuel, take the medication," Richard ordered sternly.

I shook my arm a bit, dropping the hidden medication from my sleeve to the palm of my hand. I shoved them forcefully into my mouth, swallowing thickly and then opening my mouth once again to show Richard that there was nothing left to swallow.

"Let's go," Richard turned, expecting me to follow.

"Where?" I asked, a bit worried.

"To the bathrooms," he explained. "You have lost your privilege for long sleeved shirts."

"What?" I exclaimed. "You can't do that!"

"Yes, Sam," he said, looking me in the eye. "I most certainly can."

"But--"

"No! You have screwed up too many times to avoid further consequences. Obviously a week in the padded room wasn't enough, was it? I think this time we may need to include the jacket."

My eyes burned with tears and my head suddenly felt like it was stuffed with cotton. "Please, don't..."

Richard's face was void of any emotion. "One night, two nights at most."

I stood there in shock, my lips parted and my eyes shining with unshed tears. The room was deadly silent.

Richard nodded solemnly to the security guards stationed at the doors of the lounge. They pushed themselves off of the walls and each grabbed one of my arms.

"Stop," I cried. "Stop!"

The bigger of the two grabbed me and threw me over his shoulder. I wasn't thinking. I didn't even think of who I was attacking when I decided to harshly bite the guard's shoulder. I did, however, regret it when I was dropped onto my feet and struck across the face. Lucy, a young girl with anorexia, only eleven or so, gasped and buried her face in Abby's, an older patient, also admitted due to an eating disorder, shoulder. Mason stood quickly, and seemed also ready to say something, but I shook my head, stopping him before any noise could escape his mouth.

I went willingly after that. I let them lead me to the padded room, and I let them stuff my arms into a straight jacket. I broke, though. I broke the second that the door to the room was shut, and I realized that a few of the fading pink patches on the jacket were from me.