Chapter 37: New Home Away From Home {Editing}

Adam's POV

It's been a week since we found out Autumn has Leukemia. Autumn was due to stay in the hospital until her chemotherapy was over. The hospital had basically become Autumn's new home away from home.

I had been staying at the hospital every night with Autumn. Kaci wanted to stay, but she had to take care of Baylor and a hospital was no place for a new baby.

I could see Autumn's illness taking a toll on Kaci. She was under a lot of stress and I could tell it was getting to her. Watching her daughter become weaker day by day was breaking her heart.

I woke up in the hospital bed with Autumn in my arms. She had wanted me to hold her last night because she had a nightmare.

I looked down at my baby girl and felt tears instantly form around my eyes.

I watched her open her eyes as she smiled at me. "Hi daddy," She said. "Hi angel," I said as I kissed her head. "When are mommy and Baylor gonna be here?" She asked. I looked at the clock and saw that it was only 7 AM.

"They'll be here later baby," I said. "Daddy why does mommy cry every time she sees me?" Autumn asked. "Mommy is just sad that you are sick because she loves you very much," I said. "But my medicine will make me better," She said. "I know baby," I said.

I climbed off the bed and layed Autumn back onto the bed. "Daddy I'm hungry," She said. "Do you want some jello?" I asked her. "Yes please," She said. "What color?" I asked. "Red please," She said. "Alright angel, I'll be right back," I said as I kissed her head and left to go to the cafeteria.

Kaci's POV

I woke up to the sound of Baylor's cry. I rolled out of bed and walked over to his bassinet. His little arms were reaching out, just asking to be picked up. I lifted him out of his bassinet and rocked him back and forth.

I walked downstairs and went into the kitchen. I warmed up and bottle and started to feed him.

Today was supposed to be Autumn's first day of chemotherapy and I was worried for her. It was going to make her fatigued and I didn't know if I could handle seeing my little girl like that.

After I finished feeding Baylor, I took him upstairs and changed him. I picked out a blue and white striped onesie. I put him in his bassinet and walked into my closet.

I put on a pair of dark skinny jeans and one of Adam's white v-necks. I tossed my hair up into a ponytail and put my phone in Baylor's diaper bag.

I grabbed his carrier from the corner and buckled him into it. I grabbed the diaper bag and his carrier and put him into the car before taking off to the hospital.

I pulled into the parking lot and grabbed Baylor's carrier. I walked into the hospital and went to Autumn's room. Adam and Autumn were sitting on the bed eating Jello.

"Hey cuties," I said as I walked into the room. "Hi mommy!" Autumn exclaimed. "Hi sweetheart," I said as I set Baylor's carrier down and kissed her head.

"Hi Kace," Adam said as he pulled me onto his lap and kissed me. "Hi Ad," I said. "Mommy! Daddy and me ate jello for breakfast!" She exclaimed. "I can see that," I said as I smiled at her.

She seemed like her illness wasn't impacting her at all. She seemed like the same child, but she wasn't. She was sick, but she didn't act like it at all.

Before I could say anything, a nurse walked in. "Hi Autumn. My name is Alyssa. I'm going to be your nurse," She said. "Hi Alyssa," Autumn said. "Are you ready for your medicine?" Alyssa asked her. "Yes! I want to be better so that I can go to kindergarten!" Autumn exclaimed.

"Are you ready to take her down to chemo?" Alyssa asked us. "Yeah," Adam said as we stood up. "Is it alright if you leave your son here for a few minutes? We don't want to risk him getting sick," She said. "Yeah, he'll be alright," I said before we walked down the hall with Autumn.

She sat in a chair and they hooked up her ivs. "Are you ready sweetie?" I asked her. She nodded her head. Adam held her left hand and I held her right. "Alright Autumn, you're gonna be a little tired after this, ok?" Alyssa said. "Ok," Autumn said.

Alyssa injected the medicine into the iv and I watched it travel into Autumn's hand. Tears started to form around my eyes.

I hoped this chemo would help my little girl get better.